Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pattern for Fabrics that are similar.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pattern-fabrics-similar-t42806.html)

MissQuilter 04-15-2010 07:45 AM

My son chose fabrics for a quilt that are very similar in color and value. Most are blues. I am wondering what pattern might be best. He usually likes darker colors, subdued designs and patterns. I have a quilt waiting with my quilter that has a music theme for his graduation - only a YEAR late. Now I would like to do something with the materials he chose. Any ideas appreciated! Thanks.

Oklahoma Suzie 04-15-2010 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by MissQuilter
My son chose fabrics for a quilt that are very similar in color and value. Most are blues. I am wondering what pattern might be best. He usually likes darker colors, subdued designs and patterns. I have a quilt waiting with my quilter that has a music theme for his graduation - only a YEAR late. Now I would like to do something with the materials he chose. Any ideas appreciated! Thanks.

log cabin would be nice.

RedGarnet222 04-15-2010 08:40 AM

A clay's choice would be fun to use the one in the middle and the corner blocks the other. You would need to buy a lighter for the other blocks to coordinate it. It is a man's favorite type quilt. If you google images of it, there is one that is like I am talking about.
All that being said, What kind of interests does your son have? There is a hunter's star that might be fun. Get the idea? An american history buff might like burgoine surrounded.

sewcrafty 04-15-2010 08:50 AM

What about an Irish Chain or Burgoyne Surrounded in scrappy blues?

Prism99 04-15-2010 08:57 AM

I'd do a log cabin with his darker colors and add in scrappy medium value fabrics for the contrast. That would keep the quilt subdued but still provide enough contrast for the pattern to be there.

Deb watkins 04-15-2010 09:49 AM

Card trick from Quilterscache might be a nice use of the colors.

quiltluvr 04-15-2010 09:57 AM

Envisioning what you said and my interpretation, if it's all along the same lines I'm not feeling that there would be much of a "pattern" to see. My son is very monochromatic with his tastes too.

Is he open to incorporating other lighter shades of whats been picked out?

If not, I'd make a scrappy like 9 patch, maybe making the squares somewhat bigger to show the difference in the prints a bit better, so it doesn't look all blended as much. ?????

MNQuilter 04-15-2010 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by MissQuilter
I have a quilt waiting with my quilter that has a music theme for his graduation - only a YEAR late. Now I would like to do something with the materials he chose. Any ideas appreciated! Thanks.

I just had to tell you not to feel bad about it being a year late, my DH got his graduation quilt when our DD was born...10 years after he graduated! :lol:

Moonpi 04-18-2010 03:29 PM

Value is so important - can you slip in a bit of a light neutral?

craftybear 04-18-2010 05:35 PM

post your fabrics so we can see, please