Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pattern ideas wanted (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pattern-ideas-wanted-t111606.html)

KimS 03-29-2011 04:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Qbee
Not sure what you mean by 2 pieces? As far as what kind of paper, copy paper will work fine as long as you keep your stitch really short so it will like "perforate" the paper.

Originally Posted by KimS
I think I'm going with Grandmother Fan since the fabrics seem to "fit" this pattern. It was suggested I paper piece and not having ever done that I watched a video on youtube. It seems using this method makes a huge difference in the way the block turns out. The person making the video said she used plain copy paper so is this what I should use? Found a pattern online but it's in 2 pieces so do I turn it into one piece and go from there? I'm really excited about learning how to do this!

This is the pattern I found onlline. It's in 2 pieces.

Qbee 03-29-2011 04:59 AM

You'll use both pieces....the rounded one is the round/corner part of the flower and the other is the petals. You'll need to make a bunch of copies.....good luck and post pictures! :D

Originally Posted by Qbee
Not sure what you mean by 2 pieces? As far as what kind of paper, copy paper will work fine as long as you keep your stitch really short so it will like "perforate" the paper.

I think I'm going with Grandmother Fan since the fabrics seem to "fit" this pattern. It was suggested I paper piece and not having ever done that I watched a video on youtube. It seems using this method makes a huge difference in the way the block turns out. The person making the video said she used plain copy paper so is this what I should use? Found a pattern online but it's in 2 pieces so do I turn it into one piece and go from there? I'm really excited about learning how to do this!

This is the pattern I found onlline. It's in 2 pieces.

vschieve 03-29-2011 08:27 AM

"double ring" is what my great-grandmother made for my mother and dad as a wedding present in 1945.

QuiltQtrs 03-29-2011 09:00 AM

Grandmother's Fan is my choice, in honor of your grandmother.

stitchy65 03-29-2011 09:01 AM

HST = half square triangle

fabric lover 03-29-2011 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by caliquocat
Square in a square, Tree of life or Pine tree, Broken dishes.

Ohhhhhhh caliquocat, I love your avatar, as I have 17 swallow nests under my roof. Did you design it yourself?

KimS 03-29-2011 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got one block done and love the way it looks! Still have to applique it and working on that now. It was so much fun using the paper piecing method. :-D

MimiLinda 03-29-2011 01:34 PM

Lovely quilt and the quiling is very nice. Happy Quilting :-D

KimS 03-29-2011 01:42 PM

The completed quilt isn't one I made. It was just a picture I copied from Google. It is beautiful though. I'm going to use the pattern with my Grandma's material and make a 3 piece wall hanging.

KimS 03-29-2011 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by vschieve
"double ring" is what my great-grandmother made for my mother and dad as a wedding present in 1945.

That's a wonderful gift! Is that going to be something that will be passed down to you? One of these days I'll get brave enough and try one.