Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pattern testing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pattern-testing-t246391.html)

karielt 05-06-2014 08:36 PM

Pattern testing

I was just wondering if anyone knew how pattern testing worked or if anyone has done it before. I have designed a few pattern and written up the instructions and need some testers.

DOTTYMO 05-06-2014 08:51 PM

I assume they ask friends to try them out or run a workshop and test them out by doing them.

Just ways.

cathyvv 05-06-2014 09:03 PM

Sounds like it could be fun. Is the pattern for a beginner, intermediate or a highly askilled adventurous quilter?

It might be fun to get a few ladies at one of the guilds I belong to to test the pattern in different color ways. Would you be amenable to that? I'm not promising anything, though.

Sadiemae 05-07-2014 12:30 AM

I tested a pattern for someone that belonged to QB. It was a lot of fun!

gsbuffalo 05-07-2014 02:26 AM

sounds like a lot of interesting fun.

ckcowl 05-07-2014 03:02 AM

I've been testing patterns for a magazine for some time now- the way it works for them is- I sign up/agree to test a particular pattern (they show a picture of the quilt on a tester needed page) they send me the pattern, a test report sheet and a 'must be completed by' date. I purchase fabrics (generally as close to the same colors as the pattern designer used) and follow the instructions completely to create the quilt- if I find there is a problem that causes me to not be able to continue as written I contact them right away for instructions on how to proceed- if there are any math problems, illustration problems, unclear written instruction or errors I write them down on the test sheet. when the quilt top is finished I send in my test sheet and a couple pictures of the quilt top. gives them the opportunity to correct any problems- re-write, adjust what ever. then when I get the quilt quilted & bound I send in additional pictures that are then published in the magazine. the rules are- we are not to share the pattern, show pictures of the quilt, or show anyone the quilt until it has been published- then we are allowed to sell up to 5 of them if we want and can share them on line or where ever.

PaperPrincess 05-07-2014 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 6707045)
I've been testing patterns for a magazine for some time now- the way it works for them is- I sign up/agree to test a particular pattern (they show a picture of the quilt on a tester needed page) they send me the pattern, a test report sheet and a 'must be completed by' date. I purchase fabrics (generally as close to the same colors as the pattern designer used) and follow the instructions completely to create the quilt- if I find there is a problem that causes me to not be able to continue as written I contact them right away for instructions on how to proceed- if there are any math problems, illustration problems, unclear written instruction or errors I write them down on the test sheet. when the quilt top is finished I send in my test sheet and a couple pictures of the quilt top. gives them the opportunity to correct any problems- re-write, adjust what ever. then when I get the quilt quilted & bound I send in additional pictures that are then published in the magazine. the rules are- we are not to share the pattern, show pictures of the quilt, or show anyone the quilt until it has been published- then we are allowed to sell up to 5 of them if we want and can share them on line or where ever.

So I'm assuming that for a full pattern test, all the way thru to quilted & bound, you are compensated for your time & materials.

There is a quilt pattern testers Yahoo group. Might be worthwhile to join. Also if you google 'quilt pattern testers' there are several blogs specific to this topic. One issue that may be covered is copyright of your design before publication.

thyme2quilt 05-07-2014 06:28 AM

My mom "tests" my patterns. She's a beautiful garment sewer - not a quilter. So I figure if she can follow the instructions, all must be OK (she's pretty meticulous).

Have people you know follow your instructions exactly as written. And have them jot down anything that doesn't make sense.

If you're looking for QB testers, let me know. I'd be happy to help.

ManiacQuilter2 05-07-2014 06:55 AM

EB use to have free classes at QIAD store when testing out her patterns.

Jan in VA 05-07-2014 07:15 AM

Ask here first. :thumbup: