Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Patterns from Magazines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/patterns-magazines-t235218.html)

klaws 11-21-2013 11:48 AM

Patterns from Magazines

I was looking on eBay today and saw that some people are selling patterns they tore out of a magazine. They say it is the original pages and not a copy. But, I just don't know. Why does this bother me so much? Response please.

Charming 11-21-2013 11:53 AM

I have seen posts in the past here about this and from what i understood that it is ok to do that,meaning these people are not violating any copy write laws, but i will be watching this thread to see what others say.

Sandra-P 11-21-2013 11:54 AM

I guess some people will try to sell anything. I would think there are some patterns from designers that would object to someone making money off their patterns this way, but not sure if there is some legal reason to prevent it. You have to be careful with Ebay. I ordered some posters for my daughter and they were also torn from a magazine....

maryb119 11-21-2013 11:55 AM

I think it is wrong to make money off someone elses design. The person who wrote the pattern should be the one selling them.

HouseDragon 11-21-2013 12:02 PM

I think it's tacky.

Probably not illegal but tacky all the same. :(

CRO 11-21-2013 12:05 PM

I bought a pattern and then ended up buying a kit that also had the pattern in it. Would it be considered OK to sell the unopened one?

Aria 11-21-2013 12:23 PM

I'm sure it's not illegal to sell the patterns that were in the magazine. After all, the magazine is for public use, though I wouldn't do it myself. It just doesn't seem right.

ckcowl 11-21-2013 12:56 PM

when you purchase a magazine it is for 'PERSONAL USE' and the 'legal rules' are written out in the beginning of the magazine...just like if you take a class each student is supposed to purchase their own book/pattern- it really is NOT ok to sell patterns removed from a magazine. if turned in (or caught) the seller can in fact be faced with large fines. the only way you can sell a pattern from a magazine, book or commercial pattern is by contacting the source- receiving permission- and including that permission with the pattern- where magazines are concerned sometimes the magazine owns the rights, sometimes the designer owns the rights- and the pattern is considered FOR PERSONAL USE.

joy 11-21-2013 01:04 PM

for CRO.... I don't see why not... you are not making a profit out of it if you sell it for the price you paid for it.

dunster 11-21-2013 01:08 PM

I have an entirely different opinion - (but that is all it is, opinion). As long as the original magazine pages are sold, I think it is entirely legal and there's nothing at all dishonest or underhanded about it. The person who owns the magazine has a right to sell it - or parts of it - to anyone else. You also have the right to sell any pattern that you own, whether or not you have used that pattern already, as long as you don't make copies of the pattern, either to sell or to keep. As for the designer being paid, he/she was paid by the magazine. Personal use means that the design can't be used for commercial purposes. In the past I have heard that eBay has stopped sales where copies of magazines were being sold, but they are okay with the original pages being sold.