Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   patterns in magazines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/patterns-magazines-t247184.html)

mike'sgirl 05-21-2014 05:53 PM

patterns in magazines

For those of you that get your patterns this way, do you find them true to their rating? Is easy really easy? Also, are some patterns rated more accurately in some magazines than others?
I ask because, although I consider myself a confident beginner, I found the pattern that I am making right now not quite as easy as it was rated. The directions were hard to figure out and it has a lot of matching of seams. It's not beyond me,but if someone was a real beginner, they might not find it "easy".
What do you think? I am using a McCall's magazine.

Mdegenhart 05-21-2014 06:33 PM

I've only been doing this a couple of years, but in the beginning there was no such thing as easy! Reading the patterns & using the rotary cutter was hard at first. It is really good that you're finding it a little challenging, because you'll be amazed at how fast you learn from it.

Jeanne S 05-21-2014 06:33 PM

I have seen a fairly wide range of patterns labeled as "easy"--there is no standard that I know of so it is all in the eyes of the author. Like you, I consider myself a confident beginner. But I study each pattern design to see if I think it is in my abilities. I have seen some with lots of triangles, points and angles labeled as "beginner" that I wouldn't touch. Others are truly easy that a real beginner could be successful with. But we all need a challenge occasionally to keep learning! Good luck with yours!

ckcowl 05-22-2014 03:03 AM

easy is a fairly 'relative term' .... what is a 'piece of cake' for one person may be way difficult for the next- so it is rather difficult for anyone to really get the skill level correct for 'Everyone'. often it is a more 'generalized' determination- a quilt that has straight piecing, (no inset seams, curves, applique, ect) *patchwork* is considered an 'Easy' pattern - even if is does expect you to be able to match up your seams. then, 'confident beginner, moderate ability' may have some different sizes to deal with- a bit more detail- but generally still straight seams...you then get more into intermediate to advanced when mixed techniques are incorporated- like applique, inset seams, curves, different shapes along with different sizes. always read through a pattern start to finish before starting to make sure you understand it- and *it is a good thing to 'push the envelope' and work on what you consider more difficult* that is how you improve/grow. :)

luvstoquilt 05-22-2014 04:54 AM

McCall's is one of my favorites for patterns. I also love Better Homes and Gardens where I recently did and "Advanced" Nordic Snowflakes...I found it easier than I thought it would be. I went slowly and followed it step by step. I patted myself on the back when I finished it. I have decided I really don't go by the ratings in the magazines...I read the pattern and decide if it is something I can do. I have no problems with straight seams but I am put off by circles. I have made myself do some scalloped edges and am finding it is fun to push myself to "branch out". My secret is to take my time and stop when I start getting tired. I was sewing like I had a deadline and then one day I woke up and remembered I am retired and making a quilt is my passion. I am making much nicer quilts now!

toverly 05-22-2014 04:55 AM

The rating doesn't matter as long as you follow directions. What I have found from working from magazines is make a test block first. Never ever cut it all up to the directions, then try to sew. You can waste a lot of fabric that way. Have extra fabric on hand. Always use a scant 1/4 inch. I also look for blocks that can be any size. Those are easier to me. In some patterns, the block has to end up a specific dimension to make the points or some other detail come out correct. In others, as long as you sew consistent seams, it works even if the block is 1/4 inch smaller than it is supposed to be. As long as they all are that way, it works.

ManiacQuilter2 05-22-2014 05:01 AM

I AGREE with ckcowl. I have notice sometimes a pattern says it is easy and when I look at it, I wouldn't consider it so. I have a subscription to McCall's Quickly Quilts and have been delighted with the simplicity with most of the quilts.

QuiltNama 05-22-2014 06:45 AM

Any pattern you choose to do, read through to make sure you understand the cutting and sewing instructions. What someone else thinks is easy may not be for you. The first time I designed a pattern for my quilt guild to teach a mystery class I said confident beginner. Well....not so. Just because I had been quilting for many years did not mean they had. So several of them really struggled but did manage to make it through (a big pat on the back for them). Make up one block to see if you understand the directions and would be happy with making a whole quilt. If not, you are out a little time and fabric.

quiltstringz 05-22-2014 08:33 AM

One of the other things is that patterns in magazines sometimes do not have as complete instructions/pictures as they would in a printed pattern. It seems like they are scaled down some. Also some people are better at writing instructions than others

crafty pat 05-22-2014 10:32 AM

I never payed much attention to that. If I saw one I liked and wanted I just went for it. I think one I had the most problem with was one that was listed as a easy one and that was after I had made some very hard ones. Do check the accuracy of the pattern before cutting your fabric that got me once and I have found several through the years that the wrong measurements were published.