Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Patterns using Batik Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/patterns-using-batik-fabric-t305281.html)

Butterfly101 06-17-2019 08:25 AM

Patterns using Batik Fabric

Hello, I have 2 layer cakes called Artisan Batik Solids-Prisma Dyes Royalty and one pkg of white Kona cotton. Any ideas for a pattern. My niece is getting married and I would like to make a quilt for them. Appreciate any ideas as I have not used batiks before.

JustAbitCrazy 06-17-2019 08:38 AM

You don't need any specific patterns for batiks. Use any pattern made for cottons. Batiks can made a ho hum pattern look gorgeous, much the same way bacon can make a ho hum casserole scrumptious, lol.

ekuw 06-17-2019 09:20 AM

Look at MSQC web site. Jenny had patterns based on pre-cut sizes so it's easy to find something that matches patterns/pre-cuts.

Jordan 06-17-2019 09:49 AM

I agree with JustAbitCrazy in that you can make any pattern you would like out of Batiks. Also, Donna Jordan of Jordan Fabrics has a lot of patterns that she makes with Batiks. She has a lot of tutorials that I love to watch.

quiltingshorttimer 06-17-2019 06:33 PM

JustaBitCrazy is totally correct--and love the analogy by the way!

Grace creates 06-17-2019 07:27 PM

Batiks are wonderful, Edyta Sitar used to always incorporate some batiks in all her quilts. I like to mix them with other cotton prints but all batiks are nice too

thimblebug6000 06-18-2019 05:42 AM

I would be cautious using batiks with a Kona white, in my experience batiks tend to "bleed" out their extra dye and I think the white fabric might act like a "magnet" for that. Just my opinion.

DeltaMS 06-18-2019 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Grace creates (Post 8266786)
Batiks are wonderful, Edyta Sitar used to always incorporate some batiks in all her quilts. I like to mix them with other cotton prints but all batiks are nice too

I made Edyta's "Rainbow Star" a few months back. It is wonderful with batiks. In my opinion there was a mistake in the sewing the strips together, so be careful if you choose to use it. It was my first star quilt, so maybe I didn't fully understand her instructions. I have been quilting for over 25 years and was confidant enough that I sewed my strips different than suggested. It turned out great. It is not a large quilt, so if you are wanting something that will fit a bed you should choose something else or add borders.

Butterfly101 06-18-2019 04:28 PM

Thank you for all the great suggestions. I haven't done a lot of quilting so will watch some of the suggested sites. Appreciate the help.

Libits 06-19-2019 04:11 AM

Can someone explain the difference to me between batik and kona fabrics? Are they different fiber weaves? I don’t think they’re brand names...

They seem popular but I’m not entirely sure why. (I hope I didn’t offend anyone.) Keeping in mind I haven’t been quilting all that long, I went to a local fabric shop and spent an arm and a leg on either batik or kona fabrics and didn’t like them and wouldn’t buy them again. The problem is, I can’t remember which one I bought.

I like a crisp look when it’s pressed but didn’t get that from the fabric. Directly after the pressing it looked fine but as the fabric cooled, it took on a little frumpy look but that might be that perfectionist tendency in me, too. It looks terrific in the store but not so much after washing.

This particular fabric shop has about 10,000 bolts of this stuff so it must be me.