Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pay it Forward (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pay-forward-t53218.html)

kbiederman 07-06-2010 07:10 PM

It is such a wonderful concept, and as someone mentioned, I'm sure it has been going on forever. There was also a beautiful movie made about it in the early 2000's called "Pay it Forward" with Haley Joel Osment, Helen Hunt, and Kevin Spacey. Have a box of tissues, it's well worth your time to see. Thanks for the reminder to Pay it Forward!

aneternalpoet 07-06-2010 07:14 PM

I haven't seen the movie, nor did I know about it. I think I am going to see if I can find it online ( as we just lost our only video store to its being closed down a few weeks ago ).. I love to give things away, as a blessing in surprise - and guess I have paid it forward for years since I do it alot, lol ... I love to give more than to recieve , but I am learning that when I am in need of something, with no means to purchase , its not a bad thing to ask for help.. I am a bit slower in learning to do that, sigh..
Anyway, thanks for your info on the movie.. I have plenty of boxes of tissue , thanks to just joining this awesome site last week.

wvdek 07-06-2010 07:23 PM

It means you do something nice for someone without expecting or asking anything in return other than they pay it forward. Biblically speaking, you should do it anonymously so that your blessing is not taken from you and the other person is blessed also. It really does work and is so rewarding.

Chele 07-06-2010 07:32 PM

Nice, wvdek! That says it all. But if for some reason you can't stay anonymous, don't let that deter you. Just be kind and giving to others always. Like your mama taught you.

aneternalpoet 07-06-2010 07:41 PM

Love the biblical explanation, too! thank you for sharing that part of paying it forward!

littlehud 07-06-2010 07:46 PM

My mom always said if you did something good for someone and expected nothing in return you got roses on your soul. She taught me about pay it forward before it was called that.

dungeonquilts 07-06-2010 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by kbiederman
It is such a wonderful concept, and as someone mentioned, I'm sure it has been going on forever. There was also a beautiful movie made about it in the early 2000's called "Pay it Forward" with Haley Joel Osment, Helen Hunt, and Kevin Spacey. Have a box of tissues, it's well worth your time to see. Thanks for the reminder to Pay it Forward!

Yes, have a box of tissue ready....awesome movie. This is where I learned "more" about Pay it Foward. Need to watch it again myself.

dungeonquilts 07-06-2010 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
My mom always said if you did something good for someone and expected nothing in return you got roses on your soul. She taught me about pay it forward before it was called that.

Wow, what a wonderful woman she is to teach this :)

gollytwo 07-07-2010 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
It means you do something nice for someone without expecting or asking anything in return other than they pay it forward. Biblically speaking, you should do it anonymously so that your blessing is not taken from you and the other person is blessed also. It really does work and is so rewarding.

a mitzvah

raptureready 07-07-2010 07:57 AM

It's doing somthing FOR SOMEONE else BEFORE you need something done FOR YOU. Random act of kindness thing.

My parents taught me about it too, long before the movie came out. Anyone remember the Good Samaritan?