Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pay it forward... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pay-forward-t88643.html)

AngieS 01-08-2011 08:52 AM

AMEN!!!--about the government!!

Quiltforme 01-08-2011 12:05 PM

Thank you for posting this. I shop my LQS online I have a couple that will ship getting out of the house is hard and well the big stores just dont have what I want. I would rather pay to them what I would have paid for gas then drive to the J'store closer to me.

bdsmith 01-08-2011 12:14 PM

not that I think it is a good idea- but what about credit cards,mortages,installment loans- I hope those don't apply to quilting- which of course should be a cash only hobbie

redquilter 01-08-2011 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by SuziC

Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
It's a sad reality that people simply can't spend what they don't have. The only one that really gets away with that is government.

Isn't THAT the truth!!!

Yeah - and look where it got us!

Mary M 01-08-2011 12:33 PM

It will probably get worse now that cotton prices have gone up. I would love to give my business to LQS but it can get very pricey. I love my hobby but I do have to keep costs in check. I won't use credit cards and always pay cash for my fabrics. I feel sorry for those who get deep in trouble with credit cards. We can only do what we can do using good judgement.

pab58 01-08-2011 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by harryb1834
They have a website, but you can't buy anything on it unless you call it in. It is also very limited on the selection. I think most of the business is instore.

I would rather not publish the name of the shop for her privacy even though I know it would help.

- Harry

You could PM it to those who would be interested. Just a thought. :wink:

brushandthimble 01-08-2011 12:45 PM

I only want high quality fabric, and like to do my feel test. I am on a very strict budget but when the LQS has FQ reg $2.50 each on sale of $1.00 you bet I run right over (1 hour drive each way), but call a friend to go with me.
Just this morning bougt LQS fabric at $3.99 yd. I buy almost all my fabric at different LQS but NEVER (or hardly ever) pay retail. They all usually have sale fabrics for up to 50% off. That comes real close the JA prices and 100% better quality. JMHO

leonajo 01-08-2011 01:02 PM

There r several in my area and I try and hit them all!!! The area where I live has not been hit as hard economicly as other states. All the LQS seem to be both thriving and expanding. I do love a bargin and pick up good deals when possible,wherever possible. But there r times when u need to caress some crisp, top of the line, just out, new for the season fabric.I did pay cash, don't use cards, but only bought 5 yds fabric.

lots2do 01-08-2011 02:35 PM

It's a hard time for many. I feel lucky that I can still treat myself from time to time and that I can still be a good customer at my favorite LQShops.

lynmccoy 01-08-2011 04:02 PM

I don't know if this will help your friend's quilt shop or even apply to her. I live in a small town and we have a small fabric shop that is usually busy. What she does is :

1.As each customer comes in she'll ask them if they found the colors they needed and if they didn't she will order that at no expense to them and if they want to be called when a new supply of fabric comes in.

2.she has a long arm quilter and does quilting for people in this area who makes quilt tops but doesn't want to quilt them.

3.has classes to teach quilting,sewing,crochet,kniting,embroidery

She doesn't do this all by herself.She has 2 daughters and 1 sister who help with the classes and the daughter who does the long arm quilting is fantastic with it. She told me if she had room she would sell quilts on consignment but she has no room. Maybe your quilt shop friend could try something like that.