Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Peeling Olfa mat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/peeling-olfa-mat-t33840.html)

thequilterslink 01-11-2010 02:39 PM

Cutting wrong? roflol, does the mat include the directions for the correct way to cut on it? I would be contacting the big wig at the company too.

Lacelady 01-11-2010 02:58 PM

My first Olfa lasted over 15 years, the second only two and a half. Now I buy the cheapest I can, usually at quilt shows, and if they only last 2 or 3 years, I don't mind. The last one I bought cost €20, and is doing very well, no signs of wear at all after a year.

mar32428 01-11-2010 03:12 PM

Let the head honcho know that you have notified the other quilter on this connection and they are passing the information on to their quilting groups. That should get some attention. They don't want publicity.

nativetexan 01-11-2010 03:24 PM

ha. i'd keep complaining. go higher!
they may not be made as well, but that's not your fault. i've had one for years and years. i have two actually side by side now.

Debra Mc 01-11-2010 03:32 PM

Can you take it back to the store where you bought it? I would rattle the pillars of hell if they didn't do something about it. I think there are well over 3000 members on this site. Do they really want to screw with us. Maybe we should all send them emails & complain about their customer service to our friend.

shaverg 01-11-2010 04:11 PM

OMG. I just bought a new one from JoAnn's. My husband had used an exacto knife on the old one I have had for 20 years and had damaged it.

cande 01-11-2010 04:20 PM

I went to Olfa.com Start here and let them know that you belong to a quilting forum with 3000 members and will be letting those members know how this was handled. Good or bad.

OLFA Customer Service
OLFA Offices - Hours:

Monday through Thursday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST

Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm EST

Phone:

(800) 962-OLFA (6532)

Fax:

U.S.: (800) 685-3950

Canada: (866) 509-9902

E-mail:

Use our e-mail form.
We will make every effort to answer emails within 3-5 business days.

Corporate Office:

World Kitchen, LLC.

OLFA - North America Division
5500 N. Pearl Street, Suite 400
Rosemont, IL 60018

BellaBoo 01-11-2010 05:09 PM

I was out of town at a store sale when I bought it. It's Olfa's policy that cutting mats are not guaranteed or replaceable. Just remember that when buying a mat.

Debra Mc 01-11-2010 05:29 PM

That is a load of crap. Did you buy with a credit card? Some cards have that clause where if you get a defective product they will make good on it.

BellaBoo 01-11-2010 05:36 PM

Cande, That's the info I used to contact Olfa. Here is the last email I received from them when the courtesy replacement clause was added. lol

Ms ********
I am unsure of why this may be happening to the mat.

From what you have described in your e-mail, it sounds as if channels have been created in the mat. By this I mean that certain areas of the mat have been used for cutting a little more and therefore there are more cut marks within a small area. When this happens, grooves are created (cuts are close together) and then eventually the cuts join together creating a flaking/gouging effect. This is also caused because we do not cut at a perfect 90 degree angle so when multiple cutting occurs in an area we actually create grooves which will eventually loosen off. Although all cutting mats are self healing, one has to remember that the mat only closes the gap created after a cut...it does not seal/adhere itself. We do recommend using the back side of our mats for general purpose cutting (when the grid lines are not required) to help prolong the life of the mat.

Unfortunately our mats do not have any type of warranty or guarantee; however, as a one time courtesy to you I will replace your mat providing you send me the one you are having an issue with.

Once I receive the mat from you I will issue you your replacement.

Please send the mat to the following address:

World Kitchen LLC
C/O OLFA Customer Service
1200 South Antrim Way
Greencastle PA 17225