Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pellon Stitch n Tear (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pellon-stitch-n-tear-t22623.html)

kluedesigns 07-10-2009 06:18 PM

does anyone have this product?

i have some that i use with the embroidery machine and i was thinking it might be nice to use for paper piecing.

if you have it what have you been using it for.

sewnsewer2 07-10-2009 06:46 PM

I use it for embroidery, but not with my emb machine. Sorry, I don't know about the paper piecing.

katier825 07-10-2009 06:49 PM

I always use it behind my machine applique when I'm finishing the edges...it sure makes them much nicer. I have not tried paper piecing yet, but it's on my to-do list of things to try. :) I imagine it's a good alternative to paper. There must be someone out there who has tried it!

(edited to specify machine applique)

feline fanatic 07-11-2009 04:34 AM

I use it when I satin stitch around applique. I don't think it would work well for paper peicing because I think it might distort and stretch the stitches too much when you tear it away unless you use really tiny stitch setting on your machine.

Klue, have you ever tried freezer paper piecing? You don't stitch through the paper. You "sew" your pattern on the freezer paper with an unthreaded needle then once you start piecing you fold the freezer paper on the preferation and sew right next to the fold. Really good directions for this method can be found in Judy Mathieson's book "Mariner's Compass Quilts, Setting a New Course". When I read the directions I wasn't sure I would like this method as opposed to regular paper piecing but I loved it and can't wait to try it again. You can reuse the pattern pieces several times. I have gotten up to 8 out of one piece before it quits sticking to the fabric. The waxy coating on the freezer paper also really stabalizes the fabric so you get no distortion even when sewing on the bias.

FF

kluedesigns 07-11-2009 04:58 AM

my problem with the freezer paper method is it doesn't help in any way for the stretch or distortion of the fabric or block.

the freezer paper method to me, is just regular piecing expect you have a guide to follow. i say, just dump the freezer paper and piece the project.

the whole point of the foundation is to provide stabilization to bias and/or very unstable cuts and to allow for working with pieces as small as 1/4 square.

Minda 07-11-2009 05:00 AM

I recently taught one of my friends to paper-piece, and she bought me a pack as a thank you. I haven't tried it yet, but I'll let you know how I like it when I do. If you decide to try it, please let me know how you like it.

Moonpi 07-11-2009 05:13 AM

I used to use tear-away for layered appliques. Right now I'm tring a paper pieced method if using the gridded fusible webbing as a base.

It was easy to trace the pattern on to, using fabric markers, and each section will be fused once it is in place, so it should be nore stable in the seams.

When it's time to embelish my crazy quilt blocks, just iron it down; the stabilizer is already there. I heard about this method from our former member, Cissy, and it makes sense. I am severely challenged when it comes to paper piecing, so anything that makes it easier for me is a boon.

kluedesigns 07-11-2009 05:24 AM

i use gridded fusible web all the time much like you do. i also use it to do applique too.

its great for bargello quilts also.

i buy it by the bolt from joanns with a coupon.

sewjoyce 07-11-2009 06:58 AM

At the Paducah Quilt show, I bought a roll of "Wash Away Tear Away" which a friend of mine says she uses all the time. It's great for applique as well as embroidery and I think it would work great for paper piecing as after the quilt is finished and washed, it would all be gone....

feline fanatic 07-11-2009 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
my problem with the freezer paper method is it doesn't help in any way for the stretch or distortion of the fabric or block.

the freezer paper method to me, is just regular piecing expect you have a guide to follow. i say, just dump the freezer paper and piece the project.

the whole point of the foundation is to provide stabilization to bias and/or very unstable cuts and to allow for working with pieces as small as 1/4 square.

That's odd, I find the freezer paper, when ironed on to the fabric provides great stabilazation. The smallest unit in the block was 1/2" finished tapering up to 1/8" finished. As it was a point on a mariners compass I was sewing on a bias and got no distortion whatsover, with absolutely no pinning.