Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Perfect 1/4" Foot??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/perfect-1-4%22-foot-t82549.html)

retired2pa 12-13-2010 10:12 AM

OK, ladies...I need some input here:

Have you found the "perfect" 1/4" foot for your piecing? Does one even exist???

bjnicholson 12-13-2010 10:14 AM

I do have an exact 1/4" foot for my Janome, but the marking on the plate is exactly a "scant" 1/4" so I usually use that as my guide. I have to put a little stack of sticky notes next to them or I go off in all directions!!

sewwhat85 12-13-2010 10:15 AM

usually only by luck does a 1/4" foot is perfect. usually have to move needle position or position of fabric to get perfect 1/4"

kathy 12-13-2010 10:28 AM

yes even tho my Janome 1/4" foot has a piece on it to keep you from going past the edge I can can not get qite close enough, or get it bunched up against it so I say "NO", there is no such thing, they all leave room for the operator to mess it up :shock:

dungeonquilter 12-13-2010 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by retired2pa
OK, ladies...I need some input here:

Have you found the "perfect" 1/4" foot for your piecing? Does one even exist???

The foot that came with my Brother 1500 machine gives me a perfect 1/4" seam. When I put my blocks together, and measure the quilt, it comes to within 1/4" of what it should.
I do stress that it works for me. Please keep in mind that what works for one, does not necessarily work for other.

plainpat 12-13-2010 10:45 AM

My machine came with a 1/4th" foot & I've measured it several times & it's spot on. Having said that, I don't worry about my seams being exact as long as there's enough to sew even seams.I don't go under that size.Don't want to worry about them pulling apart.

Candace 12-13-2010 10:48 AM

Fabric thickness and thread weight affect the 1/4" seam. My Bernina foot is wonderful, but I always do a test as I sometimes have to bump the needle over a spot depending on these things. A 1/4" foot doesn't take these into consideration. You must gauge the fabric and thread thickness.

eaglebeak1960 12-13-2010 10:50 AM

I was able to purchase a 1/4" foot for my Viking Saphire 830
it has an edge on it for that it still is not perfect. I have to watch carefully that I do not allow the material to go under it or pull away from it

BRenea 12-13-2010 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Fabric thickness and thread weight affect the 1/4" seam. My Bernina foot is wonderful, but I always do a test as I sometimes have to bump the needle over a spot depending on these things. A 1/4" foot doesn't take these into consideration. You must gauge the fabric and thread thickness.

I love the Bernina 1/4" foot, but I too have to "fudge" the needle depending on the fabric and thread. I think this applies to all quarter-inch feet. I always sew a sample seam to get it just right.

retired2pa 12-13-2010 11:18 AM

OK...so what you're all saying is....

The foot may be perfect, but the operator isn't :)