Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The perfect block (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/perfect-block-t86124.html)

rebeccai 12-29-2010 09:09 PM

I recently purchased fabric (black & white, and purples) for a quilt that I want to make for my younger sister. The only problem is that I am having a hard time coming up with the perfect block(s) to use. :(

So my questions to you are:
1. How do you find the perfect block for that special person??
2. Have you ever had this problem?
3. Am I being too picky? LOL

sueisallaboutquilts 12-29-2010 09:11 PM

1. I don't know.
2. Yes!
3. Not at all!! We want that special something for that special someone!!
Lol :D:D

cjomomma 12-29-2010 09:12 PM

I think that most of the time the fabric chooses the design for me. If you have enough of the fabric make a sample block of a pattern you like and see if the fabric works for you in the pattern or block.

quiltgrammyt2 12-29-2010 09:14 PM

I don't feel that you are being to picky we spend a lot of time and money on our quilts,so we want them to really fit the person who receives them. Good luck!!!! And Enjoy!!!!

quiltingaz 12-29-2010 09:15 PM

I know what you mean. I have had trouble like that before and you are not too picky. I struggle a lot and worry that others will not like what I pick out. But then there are times when a pattern just speaks to you and you know it is right for a certain person, then you have to struggle to find the right fabric. Wouldn't is be great to just have both happen at the same time and everything just fall into place.
Sometimes you just have to look through a lot of books and patterns before inspiration strikes.

LindaM 12-29-2010 09:16 PM

ALL the time! LOL

Sometimes though I flip flop between which block the fabrics would look better in ... but I really prefer patterns that I can do from strata, so am often looking for new ways to use strips.

I do like Electric Quilt's ability to scan in fabrics (or using images from the manufacturer) and put the actual fabric in the design I'm working on.

And also why I always do test blocks before I do a whole bunch of cutting, to be sure I like the way it's going together.

rebeccai 12-29-2010 10:04 PM

I'm happy to know that I'm not the only person with this problem..LOL! :D

irishrose 12-29-2010 10:19 PM

That's the hardest part. The fabric I chose for my second daughter said to me that I should not cut the charms any smaller, so choosing a pattern was not easy. I'm hoping the D9P I've started is the right one.
Purple, black and white sounds like a great combination. Let the fabric speak to you.

trif 12-29-2010 10:26 PM

So, what I do sometimes when the fabric hasn't picked my pattern, I sit down with my fabric choices and flip through my collection of ideas, if nothing jumps out then I start looking at my paper piece blocks and when you look through picture how your fabrics would look. Often a combination of blocks works great. Good luck and have fun!

lisalovesquilting 12-30-2010 03:40 AM

How about a sampler quilt.