Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   perfect circles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/perfect-circles-t144947.html)

sisLH 08-13-2011 03:03 PM

HELP please! I CANNOT make ggod circles by hand or by machine. I can cut out good circles but how can I attach them and still have them look circular?! I want to do a Mariner's Compass. While I have seen them with no circle in the center, that is the pattern that I prefer. I skip other patterns because of this circle problem. How do you get yours the best way?

bobbie1 08-13-2011 03:06 PM

Good question..looking forward to some answers! I need help also :-D

sahm4605 08-13-2011 03:11 PM

this is why I have never tried a circle. I am way to chicken to try them. yet. I know that you are supposed to make cuts in the fabric to the right of the seam. but don't know what that is about.

blossom808 08-13-2011 03:11 PM

Go Slow...

cmrenno 08-13-2011 03:13 PM

Make a template the size of the finished circle (from cardboard.) Cut a fabric circle one inch larger. Sew a running stitch around the fabric circle. Place the template inside the fabric circle and draw up the thread. Knot it off. Lightly spray with starch. Press. Remove basting thread and cardboard and there you have a perfect circle. You may want to press again. When you get to where you do a lot of these I recomend heat proof template plastic from the quilt shop. You can use it over and over. Good luck with your project!

bluteddi 08-13-2011 03:17 PM

not sure how u would addapt it but
1. I make perfect circles but cutting one circle in desired fabric and one circle to match either out of matching fabric of coordinating or muslin.
2. Place right sides together...
3. stitch around circle, yes ALL the way around
4. on wrong side, I cut a small slit ( careful not to cut the desired fabric
5. clip edges
6. birth circle thru slit
7. press right side of fabric
8. applique or whip stitch to desired area

Nice round edges....

I made an entire quilt using this method

sisLH 08-13-2011 03:33 PM

To cmrenno and bluteddi --- I like your ideas on them and will try both as making them those ways sounds much easier. When I am doing the actual attaching of mine is when I have the most difficulty. I pin them nicely and think I am sewing them nicely but they look more like alien circles or weird ovals when I'm done. Any hints there??

virtualbernie 08-13-2011 03:34 PM

I use both the aforementioned techniques and they work equally as well!

virtualbernie 08-13-2011 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by sisLH
To cmrenno and bluteddi --- I like your ideas on them and will try both as making them those ways sounds much easier. When I am doing the actual attaching of mine is when I have the most difficulty. I pin them nicely and think I am sewing them nicely but they look more like alien circles or weird ovals when I'm done. Any hints there??

I would glue baste (small dots of glue) the circle down with washable glue and not pull the stitches too tightly. If you are machine stitching them I would put the glue dots a little closer together. And go slowly.

bobbie1 08-13-2011 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie

Originally Posted by sisLH

I would glue baste (small dots of glue) the circle down with washable glue and not pull the stitches too tightly. If you are machine stitching them I would put the glue dots a little closer together. And go slowly.

Do you change thread length on machine?