Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The "Perfect" Jelly Roll (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/perfect-jelly-roll-t192100.html)

Quiltlady330 06-19-2012 06:31 AM

[QUOTE=GrannieAnnie;5298239]a jewel tone set of batiks, including red, purple, blue, green, yellow, orange with the addition of rose and gold.

Several variations of each of those colors,, NO doubles[/QUOTE

This sounds great to me, too! :0

clevermom3kids 06-19-2012 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics (Post 5298401)
Well... what about the concept of "junior jelly rolls" with 20 strips, all different? Then if you needed 40, you could order two, and if you needed more, you could order 3 or 4.

I just made a small 50" x50" quilt using 20 jelly roll strips. If I'd made a mistake, 20 would not have been enough for me! Actually, the roll I used contained 30 strips but as it was sort of monochromatic, I chose to add a complementary color for a little more zing to the overall design. I ended up using the complement for the binding as well. Throwing in a "wild card" with the others might be fun too!

My time 06-19-2012 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny (Post 5298641)
Anywhere from 40 to 400 cream/beige/vanilla pudding/soft butter/rice krispy squares/ kind of colors.
Because you never have enough of those.

Carole

This would be my choice as well Carole. You have good taste, lol.

cmw0829 06-19-2012 09:49 AM

Mine would be:

Perfect 2 1/2"
No pinking on the edges
No duplicates - this means no exact duplicates and no pattern duplicates (same pattern, different color)
Batiks - no dark dull colors!!

TanyaL 06-19-2012 10:29 AM

Mine would be 20 strips of straight edged cut 2 1/2 inch rose patterned fabric on black backgrounds - all different.

mom-6 06-19-2012 10:53 AM

So far the only jelly rolls I have purchased have been batiks. They have been the smaller ones with 24 strips that Walmart has. The batiks have been the only ones that I felt were ones I could use.

So I guess my 'perfect' jelly roll would also be batiks. I would prefer all the fabrics in the roll to actually work well together. It seems like there's always one that just doesn't quite fit with the rest and gets set aside. IF there are duplicates, then an equal number of each...not 4 of this one and 3 of that one and 2 of something else. But I agree that all different but coordinating would be good.

I also like the suggestion of a group of blenders in various colorways. Although I think the blenders might be better in larger pieces than a jelly roll. . .maybe 1/2 yard pieces of the coordinating colors.

maxnme01 06-19-2012 12:17 PM

I agree with everything said. Sometimes the manufacturer thinks they know more than the consumer. Sigh!

This was a good survey and I agree about all fabrics being different. I'd love more "neutral" jelly rolls too.

Skittl1321 06-19-2012 12:55 PM

I find it interesting that everyone wants unique fabrics, but also wants 40 strips.

What should a manufacturer do if there are not 40 fabrics in the line? Connecting Threads (who sells strip sets, not Jelly Rolls) sends you one strip of each fabric, not 40 strips- and prices accordingly. Since Moda has defined their rolls as 40 strips, they seem to have no choice but to include duplicates for lines with fewer fabrics (and almost no line has 40 fabrics). Would you prefer they combine lines?

LauraRG 06-19-2012 12:56 PM

I have only tried a JR one time... it wasn't fabrics I was in love with, but it was on clearance so it wasn't a costly experiment. I enjoyed it, and like how it turned out, but I admit that I added strips cut from fabrics in my stash. Why did I add fabrics? because there just wasn't enough contrast in the strips as packaged. That's what keeps me from buying more. Mostly they are gorgeous fabrics, but just a little blah. So my perfect JR would have accurate 2 1/2 cuts and plenty of contrast in the fabrics.

DonnaB 06-19-2012 01:07 PM

The "perfect jellyroll" would be a "perfect" 2 1/2", with 42 count, one of each color or print, batik preferrably