Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Permanent Markers and Alcohol Art quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/permanent-markers-alcohol-art-quilts-t195265.html)

#1piecemaker 07-21-2012 04:48 AM

Permanent Markers and Alcohol Art quilts

I came up on a tutorial on how to make these gorgeous scarves made from marking on them with markers and then spraying them with rubbing alcohol to make the colors bleed. They were beautiful! Has anyone tried this technique? And, what did you think about its results? I can think of endless possibilities for this.

nycbgirl 07-21-2012 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker (Post 5381730)
I came up on a tutorial on how to make these gorgeous scarves made from marking on them with markers and then spraying them with rubbing alcohol to make the colors bleed. They were beautiful! Has anyone tried this technique? And, what did you think about its results? I can think of endless possibilities for this.

I have not, but I'm interested!

delma_paulk 07-21-2012 07:15 AM

I would really like to see the tute! Been interested in these scarves for years.

TIA,

delma

terri bb 07-21-2012 10:22 AM

interesting idea! i watched a "sewing with nancy" the other day and she had a guest on there who made them by laying silk on top of flowers and herbs and pounding the silk with a ball peen hammer. then she sprayed? it with i think copper? she mentioned anti perspirant and put it in a zip lock bag to dry for a few days. i think they are 'set' by hot ironing, rinsing, and then hot ironing them dry from the rinse. i have it on tape but im sure any of you can find it on the web if you are interested. yours seems a bit easier on the arm than pounding with a hammer! one was made with coffee and blueberries, it was gorgeous. all i could think of is ouch how expensive is silk?????

Sunnye 07-21-2012 03:22 PM

On my list of things to do!

sassey 07-21-2012 07:15 PM

Could you please share the tut with us?

Mrs B 07-21-2012 10:35 PM

Suzanne McNeill teaches this technique. You can find her blog at this address http://blog.suzannemcneill.com/2012/...l-retreat.aspx When I asked her where I could learn the techniwue she said "go to the Design Originals channel on youtube for several videos on dyeing fabric. Our channel is Designoriginals123, the best video for this process is "How to dye fabric with permanent markers."
Hope you all go there and enjoy the great tutes!

wolph33 07-22-2012 03:26 AM

My daughter and her children did a bunch of squares like that-someday it will all be in a quilt.

ghostrider 07-22-2012 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by terri bb (Post 5382505)
interesting idea! i watched a "sewing with nancy" the other day and she had a guest on there who made them by laying silk on top of flowers and herbs and pounding the silk with a ball peen hammer. then she sprayed? it with i think copper? she mentioned anti perspirant and put it in a zip lock bag to dry for a few days. i think they are 'set' by hot ironing, rinsing, and then hot ironing them dry from the rinse. i have it on tape but im sure any of you can find it on the web if you are interested. yours seems a bit easier on the arm than pounding with a hammer! one was made with coffee and blueberries, it was gorgeous. all i could think of is ouch how expensive is silk?????

Flower pounding is not permanent color. It is not dyeing and the color generally fades when exposed to light, changes as a result of the pounding, washes out quickly, or all three. Heat setting may increase the lifespan of your work, but it will not make it washable.

#1piecemaker 07-22-2012 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by sassey (Post 5383506)
Could you please share the tut with us?

I'll be glad to share it with you. I've just got to find it again. Basicly all you do is take the regular makers that you buy at Walmart and make designs on the fabric. Even just X's and O's will do. then you spray them with rubbing achohol and the colors spread. Then you let it dry. They recommend laying it on a piece of freezer paper so your colors don't bleed onto anything underneath. I'm going to try to make a tutorial and post it on the board.