Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Personalised Cushion - Good gift for a baby? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/personalised-cushion-good-gift-baby-t19830.html)

PrettyKitty 05-07-2009 07:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My friends Stu & Gill's little baby Lottie will be 1 year old on the 22nd June. I am planning what to make/give her for a gift. I came up with the idea of a personalised cushion, as I am confident and adept at making them. Can you belive the one pictured is £30 in the shops! I thought - I can make that!

I am planning on using iron-on applique letters to spell out her name - lucky there is 9 letters in 'Charlotte' - one letter in each square! I will stitch the applique on by hand to make them secure. Then I will stipple quilt the cushion cover with varigated thread.

Do you think this is a good idea for a baby? I'm wondering if it will be useful at all? More of a keepsake really, maybe.

tlrnhi 05-07-2009 07:14 AM

I think it's cute. Great idea!
They would probably want it as a keepsake for her, BUT, you could make 2. One for her to play around with on the floor and one for a keepsake.

PrettyKitty 05-07-2009 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
I think it's cute. Great idea!
They would probably want it as a keepsake for her, BUT, you could make 2. One for her to play around with on the floor and one for a keepsake.

Good idea Terri! I can make a 'posh' one AND a 'fun' one. The cushion inners are only £1.50 from IKEA, and I have plenty of fabric.

amandasgramma 05-07-2009 07:36 AM

I think it's a GREAT idea! I've been thinking of making some pillows for the grandchildren (12 of them) with their initials......you've given me a great idea.

butterflywing 05-07-2009 07:59 AM

why not make it as a wallhanging or in a picture frame? that would be a forever gift - and stay clean. it's too pretty to have anything happen to it.

the idea is great, and when i have my next baby you can certainly make one for me. tee hee! ( where were you when i COULD have a next baby?)

littlehud 05-07-2009 07:44 PM

I think it is great. My son made a pillow for DGD when she was about two. She sleeps with it every night. It is falling apart now so he will make her a new one soon.

PrettyKitty 05-08-2009 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
why not make it as a wallhanging or in a picture frame? that would be a forever gift - and stay clean. it's too pretty to have anything happen to it.

the idea is great, and when i have my next baby you can certainly make one for me. tee hee! ( where were you when i COULD have a next baby?)

That was my first thought too, but their house isn't that big, and they already complain that they have run out of places to hang pictures.

PrettyKitty 05-08-2009 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I think it's a GREAT idea! I've been thinking of making some pillows for the grandchildren (12 of them) with their initials......you've given me a great idea.

Always happy to help! :wink:

PrettyKitty 05-08-2009 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I think it is great. My son made a pillow for DGD when she was about two. She sleeps with it every night. It is falling apart now so he will make her a new one soon.

Thanks littlehud, and everyone else, I've definitely decided to do it. I'll see how the 'posh' one comes out and maybe make a second' fun' one too.

Rose Hall 05-08-2009 04:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made a banner for a cousin when she was expecting baby number 1. it was a huge hit at her shower. A personalized gift is always a good idea!