Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pets and Quilts - What do you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pets-quilts-what-do-you-do-t173722.html)

jaciqltznok 12-30-2011 07:15 PM

I have 3-5 dogs here at all times...I keep the door closed...OR I do not put a good quilt on the bed...toe nails, are hard on any quilt!

Wanabee Quiltin 12-30-2011 07:21 PM

I put my quilts in the dryer on air only to clean them up. Does not hurt them and gets rid of hair.

beatys9 12-30-2011 07:43 PM

My best quilt is hung on the wall of the bedroom as we have the dogs on the bed with us too :)

pinkberrykay 12-30-2011 08:07 PM

At least all your pets sleep ON TOP of the quilts. Mine love to sleep in between the sheets with DH and I. The Yorkie is always at our feet. My female Toy Poodle is in-between DH and I and my other Toy Poodle (male) sleeps right next to me like we are "spooning". He's a mommas boy and I spoil him like crazy. He was my first fur kid so he gets what ever he wants:D. The sofa is their spot during the day, all day. The quilts get dirty but go straight to the wash.

teddysmom 12-31-2011 03:59 AM

We have a 5 lb Yorkie who sleeps on our bed every night. Yorkie's don't shed so dog hair is no problem. He also has a lap quilt that he sleeps on during the day which is on our couch. Guess it depends on the dog.

JoyceRowell 12-31-2011 04:38 AM

Pets and Quilts

I have three dogs on our bed and most of the time three cats as well, my quilts seem to fair just fine. I just have to wash them more often than most, but if the material is good, I can not see where that is a problem either. Good luck and thank you for being an animal lover also.:)

Krystyna 12-31-2011 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Fabriclovr (Post 4824170)
I don't know about dogs, but I have enough cat fur that my kids think I can use it for batting! ROFL My cats sleep with us every night and they do play 'pounce on the toes' but that is it, nothing that would harm a quilt other than to cover it in fur.

Gota love the little furry ones :)

I was browsing books in the craft section at Barnes and Noble the other day and picked up a book called something like Crafting with Cat Hair. I thought it was a joke until I opened it up and saw photos of how to "harvest" the hair for later use! YUK!

On another note, we have two dogs. The bigger one, a 55 lb. Puggle (half pug half beagle) thinks that every afghan and quilt is HIS. I made a scrappy quilt this summer to use on our porch and when I brought it in he claimed it. It is now folded up in his dog bed. The little one - half chihuahua half crazy-haired terrier - loves to burrow and finds her way under every quilt in the house. We love them, so that's that. The quilts get washed and vacuumed inbetween washings and they hold up just fine.

jpmaroni 12-31-2011 04:56 AM

I like the idea of making them a quilt to lay on at the foot of the bed. My dog has two quilts that are designed like sleeping bags. He's a Boston Terrier and loves to sleep inside blankets. He never leaves the one in front of the wood stove this time of year.

stoppain 12-31-2011 05:26 AM

Hi to all, About quilts and dogs. I have a quilt I make about 20 some years ago. My dog(small) sleep with his mommy (me). I have only two small repairs. So, I could only put away a really good quilt away
My dog is the only one loyal to me

Hoarder 12-31-2011 05:53 AM

I have a 9 year old Lhasa and he rules Oliver who weights 60 lbs! He rules his bed (allows me to sleep in it, not Oliver). But my quilt during the day is covered in "his" spot with a large towel. He knows to stay on the towel during the day and quilt is removed at night. Ok - sometimes he may wander off but if he hears me coming he is fully on the towel :)