Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pfaff 1222 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pfaff-1222-a-t158693.html)

Candace 10-07-2011 08:55 AM

I just bought one today at the church rummage sale. It needs some love and cleaning. Hopefully not a run to the repair shop. Anyone have this model and I hope I did good...I see it sells for a lot more than I paid. I will need to get a 1/4" foot though...Yay!!!

Maia B 10-07-2011 09:25 AM

Congrats!!! It's supposed to be one of the all-time great Pfaffs. I could never find one for under $500 when I was looking, so I bought a Select 3.0 to have a mechanical with IDT. There's an "OldPfaffPforum" (or some such name) yahoo group. It's supposed to be great for both piecing and FMQ.

Candace 10-07-2011 09:52 AM

Well, it was running very slow. I cleaned it and decided to take apart the foot pedal to see if the problem was there. One small copper bit broke off and flew away to location unknown, never to be seen again. Now the foot pedal will likely have to be replaced for more than I paid for the machine. Ack.

I'll have to look up the forum, thanks. I've never owned a Pfaff. So, this is a good one? Comparable to the Bernina 830 maybe? Glad I did good. Except for the pedal issue.

It came with case, flat bed attachment and one foot. Also another plastic piece I have no idea what it does...

Maia B 10-07-2011 09:56 AM

Yes, I'd say it's Pfaff's "830 Record". Try Brubaker's in PA or AccuSew in Milwaukee for parts if you can't find anything close to you. Ray White used to have a Pfaff repair service, but maybe he's retired.

blueangel 10-07-2011 10:04 AM

Congrats

Candace 10-07-2011 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Maia B
Yes, I'd say it's Pfaff's "830 Record". Try Brubaker's in PA or AccuSew in Milwaukee for parts if you can't find anything close to you. Ray White used to have a Pfaff repair service, but maybe he's retired.

I see there are some foot controls for sale for it on ebay. I don't know if it was sewing slow because of the contol or not, but I guess it won't hurt to buy a replacement since I broke it :<. All of the cams look great and I don't "see" any problems off the bat. But, I suspect this is why it was donated to the rummage sale. I'd like to at least try it out to see if I like it before deciding to part it out:<

the casual quilter 10-07-2011 12:02 PM

I bought one of these about 15 years ago second hand and it is a wonderful machine. I don't use it as my primary, but I pull it out every so often just because I like sewing with it. I'd like to use it as my machine to take to class, but it's so darn heavy! I've sewn quilt tops, clothing and done FMQ with it and it does a great job.

sewmary 10-07-2011 12:06 PM

I would so like to have one but the prices on ebay and other sites are getting to be too expensive. It is very highly rated.

annthreecats 10-07-2011 12:41 PM

Just to let you know, Bernina makes the 830 Record, not Pfaff.

greensleeves 10-07-2011 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by annthreecats

Just to let you know, Bernina makes the 830 Record, not Pfaff.

I think she meant it is Pfaff's 1222 machine that is comparable to the Bernina 830--not that the 830 is made by Pfaff.