Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pfaff 2044 sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pfaff-2044-sewing-machine-t227865.html)

Debbie B 08-13-2013 04:37 AM

Pfaff 2044 sewing machine

In my area is a Pfaff 2044 sewing machine for sale at $400. Is this a good price? The ad doesn't give much information. Does anyone on the board use this machine? Pros...Cons? Do you ever use the monograms? And I would like to know the size of the work space from body to needle.

Weezy Rider 08-13-2013 05:05 AM

It does have IDT and a vertical bobbin. The space is about 4 1/2 inches, same as my 2144. Since the 2144 is an embroidery machine, I usually digitize the monograms I want. I think I used some builit in monograms on the 1475. You still have to stabilize them. I haven't measured it lately, but it took the 4 light set up from Ecolux.
The machine has a few less bells and whistles, but once you set it, it stays. I've used my 2144 for FMQ. Not too bad. I'm not sure, but I think you can adjust foot pressure manually. It is a 2 position needle lift like the older 1400 series. The foot either sat on the feed dogs as normal, or you moved the lever for raising the foot over and it was set for darning, embroidery, and FMQ. The 2144 does that electronically. I prefer manual.

I checked a few things out on machines. One was light leather samples. Low end Babylock with teflon or walking foot , higher end Babylock with same, neither would sew the pieces together right.

The Pfaff 2044, and the Babylock Quest (which used the Pfaff IDT) were the only machines to sew it right.

I still think vertical bobbins have more oomph to deal with difficult items like the leather. Also easier to reset and fix bobbin tension. If the vertical bobbins didn't do this either better or cheaper, the high speed quilting machines and straight stitch would use drop in bobbins.

Debbie B 08-13-2013 05:09 AM

Wheezy Rider, thanks for the info. I was hoping that the space would be more than that. Guess I will keep looking.

yngldy 08-13-2013 08:00 AM

Weesy Rider: "The space is about 4 1/2 inches, same as my 2144. " Do you mean the harp space from needle to right side? Or height inside harp? A 4 1/2" harp is really small?! (Just curious)

Debbie B 08-13-2013 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by yngldy (Post 6232147)
Weesy Rider: "The space is about 4 1/2 inches, same as my 2144. " Do you mean the harp space from needle to right side? Or height inside harp? A 4 1/2" harp is really small?! (Just curious)

That's a good question...hope she answers. My little Brother has 5"-5 1/2" from the body to the needle & I always thought that Pfaff machine would have larger work area.

Weezy Rider 08-13-2013 03:15 PM

The space between needle and side is 6 1/2 inches on the 2144. I could only use the 4 lights since they tape on and the underside of the top has a curve by the needle/takeup lever housing on one side and the controls on the other. . The flat area was 4 1/2" The curve is slight and will not interfere with FMQ.