Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   pfaff good machine for piecing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pfaff-good-machine-piecing-t257164.html)

stella63 11-22-2014 12:42 AM

pfaff good machine for piecing?

Pfaff for piecing? I've got a bernina 830 (currently in the shop being fixed! :mad: )and I find the 9mm wide feed system is not good for 1/4 piecing I also have a janome txl 607 that I keep for regular classes and I like to keep it in the bag with all its bits ready to grab, that way I know I don't forget anything essential like the power lead lol ask me how I know! . So I was looking at the pfaff 3.2 select and like the look of the dual feed and wondered if it is good for piecing? ( I have heard is good for thick fabrics like jean hems .) If not can u suggest one that is .

Gay 11-22-2014 03:52 AM

I know quite a few ladies who have Pfaff machines and think they're the 'bees-knees' for all types of sewing, especially patchwork. We love the IDT foot ( dual feed), it's not a bulky attachment like some. Am not sure of the model, but a light-weight Pfaff 'Passport' was introduced for around $700 au, with many decorative stitches, good for taking to class or travelling. Hope this helps

stella63 11-22-2014 04:36 AM

Thank u I haven't managed to test drive the pfaff as I went the shop just as it was closing I'm hoping to try in the coming week. x

coffeecozy 11-22-2014 04:38 AM

Definitely agree, they are the "bees knees" :-) . love mine for piecing, the idt works wonderfully at keeping the fabrics feeding evenly and is so easy to use.
I used mine to add belt loops to my motorcycle jeans. Waistband, Kevlar lining and denim belt loops. I really wasn't sure that it would work but i sewed slowly and the machine just stitched them on. I used my performance 5.0.

Weezy Rider 11-22-2014 06:12 AM

Does Bernina have a single stitch plate? If they do, and you piece a lot, it might be worth the money.

I have a 9mm Pfaff, but I use a 1/4 inch foot for piecing. It still has a bad habit of eating fabric on start unless you use enders. I bought the single stitch plate. Pfaff does have some 6mm machines. Single stitch plate still recommended.

An old trick from years ago was to take the foot off, put the needle down and put tape alongside the needle, making the zigzag opening more single stitch.

imsewnso 11-22-2014 06:31 AM

A single hole plate and the 97D foot is what I find works best with the 830. I have had good and bad luck with pfaff, but have not tried the one you are suggesting. A good dealer is VERY important to me and when you try out the machine check out the dealer, staff and technician availability. These are the people that will make you happy or not with your machine. IMHO

stella63 11-22-2014 08:32 AM

I've got a single stitch plate but the 97d foot has only just come on sale in the uk and is on my xmas list lol just hoping my 830 is ok ! The pfaff dealer I am not familiar with but he seems to know alot . But I've just read that pfaff was bought out a while ago and the quality is nowhere near as good as it used to be so I'm now having second thoughts.

mommaB 11-22-2014 08:44 AM

I have an older used pfaff 2038. Love it.

stella63 11-22-2014 08:47 AM

Maybe I should look for an old used one that had been cared for. Oh I don't know, please keep your helpful replies coming x

Scissor Queen 11-22-2014 09:24 AM

I love my Pfaff!! The dual feed is fabulous. I bought a Janome 6600 thinking it would be as good or better than my old Pfaff but it wasn't and I ended up selling it. When I buy a new machine next time it's going to be a Pfaff!!