Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pfaff Grand Quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pfaff-grand-quilter-t265909.html)

mollyquilt 06-02-2015 03:37 AM

Pfaff Grand Quilter

I have a Grand Quilter that I only use for free motion quilting. I love it and only use it rarely. I oiled it for upcoming use and now it is making a loud noise while sewing. Why? Please help. Thank you. mollyquilt, new to quilting board.

Tartan 06-02-2015 05:25 AM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Look in your manual to see if your machine CAN be oiled. I hope someone who has your machine can help.

Kitsie 06-02-2015 08:36 AM

I'm sure you've spent a lot of money for your Pfaff and advise calling a dealer or getting "professional" help for it! Perhaps something got dropped into it? Like a pin?

Good luck!

Prism99 06-02-2015 08:58 AM

Did you take the bobbin case out in order to clean and oil? If so, my best guess is that you did not re-seat the bobbin case correctly. That's what I would check first.

patmadrid 06-02-2015 09:19 AM

Is it stitching OK? I have a Pfaff 18x8 and it is a loud machine. If mine is louder than normal, it is usually stitching badly on the back. If not, I still rethread the top and the bobbin and clean the bobbin very well. Sometimes this helps. Once mine made a terrible noise and I discovered that I had not lowered the foot...lol. I thought I had broke it. Hopefully, it is something simple. Good luck

butterfly48 06-02-2015 12:03 PM

Turn upside down on a plank in center of machine with each end of plank resting on two chairs and take the botom off and oil some parts in there but be sure to take the plastic piece off and put some grease o n those gears. Those gears may be dry of grease. I hope that helps.

KLO 06-02-2015 03:41 PM

These machines do drink the oil so maybe it just needs a bit more than you gave it since had not been used for a while. Did you run it for very long? If not, maybe run it slowly a bit more to make sure the oil has gotten down into all the areas it needs to. And yes, check the bobbin area for debris and to make sure it is oiled there. Hope this works it's way out to running more quietly although as patmadrid mention, they are not real quiet machines but I am assuming that this is louder than it ever was when you used it before so abnormal for your machine.

sandy l 06-03-2015 03:37 AM

I have that machine too, and when it starts making a "loud whacking" noise, if I change the needle that usually will quieten it down. Hope this will help you, and welcome to the board.

IBQUILTIN 06-04-2015 07:49 AM

Try to make sure there is no lint in the bobin case. It will make them rattle.My friend has a Bernina and she finally just sat down with it and oiled everything that moved at all and it is no longer making that rattle. Good luck with it, it is a great machine.

ManiacQuilter2 06-04-2015 01:48 PM

Welcome from So CA. Hope you are able to resolve you problem.