Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pfaff-obsessed, need advice on used models (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pfaff-obsessed-need-advice-used-models-t87803.html)

featherweight 01-06-2011 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by nwm50
I have the tiptronic 1171? and it's neat....just need to order the manual to see what all these gadgets does that i paid $4 for but it works perfectly!

Does this model have the IDT that she is looking for? I can't remember.

quiltnut4ever 01-06-2011 07:47 AM

I have the Pfaff 7550 and bought it in Germany at the local military post exchange (PX) in 1998. It has traveled with me to many other states and when I finally went to work on it last year I noticed that the foot raiser was broken. Took it to the dealer and they fixed it and the motherboard works well however I think there is a problem with the bobbin case. I've considered selling it but it is an awesome machine and will not part with it. My local Pfaff dealer told me its a sought after machine because of the workmanship and I agree however she tol me I could sell it for $400! I told her no nicely! Its worth it for the older Pfaff's however I'm considering purchasing a new Pfaff, love their IDT, but am now concerned that many have had some problems.

nwm50 01-06-2011 07:49 AM

what does the idt means? Im fixing to meet some quilters for lunch and when i get back....will post pic of mine.

mhansen6 01-06-2011 07:54 AM

I had one of the first computerized Pfaffs, don't remember the number. Never had a problem with the motherboard, but I finally wore out the motor. I replaced it with a Pfaff Creative 4.0. WOW what a wonderful machine. I really don't think you can go wrong with a Pfaff.

mhansen6 01-06-2011 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by nwm50
what does the idt means? Im fixing to meet some quilters for lunch and when i get back....will post pic of mine.

Integrated Dual Feed. Basically a built in walking foot. It is wonderful.

TexasGurl 01-06-2011 09:38 AM

Contrary to what many people think, Pfaffs haven't been made in Germany since 1999. Some models were made in Sweden after Viking purchased them, and also in eastern Europe. I had a 2005 Pfaff made in the P.R. of Czechoslovakia, of all places, but the quality just wasn't the same at all. In the last 3-4 yrs they moved manuf. to China, even the top models like the Expression 2, 3 & 4.0.
I know a bunch of quilters who still have their 90's German made Pfaffs and won't part with them ... and I bet they'll outlast most of the newer ones ...

IBQLTN 01-06-2011 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by pab58
Question: Aren't Pfaffs from Sweden? My Pfaff was made in Sweden, not Germany. :?

Husqvarna Viking bought Pfaff, closed the German plant and moved operations to Sweden with the Husqvarna folks.

The German plant was prime real estate. I "heard" the property was worth a lot more than building a new factory would cost.

The "Hobby" models are not built in Europe. They are a lower end and have not been manufactured in Germany for a very long time.

Maia B 01-06-2011 11:01 AM

Yep, that's why I want an old German-made, that quality. Not that Asian factories can't produce quality machines, just that apparently, quality is very inconsistent now. So many lemon stories, lousy-dealer horror stories. I'm a nurse, and my motto is "believe the patient", or in this case the sewer. When Pfaffanatics say their older Pfaffs are better, I believe 'em. I might get a computerized, but would prefer a mechanical. Any model recommendations? Quilter Gary recommended a dealer in Milwaukee to me, might make a pilgrimage.

ladyinpurple135 01-06-2011 11:25 AM

I purchased my 1473 used in 1994 just because it had the dual feed function. I was learning machine piecing at that time and needed all the help I could get. It is still my absolutely favorite (non-antique) machine. It goes to all my charity work days (2 guilds) plus workshops, etc. A couple of years ago I walked into the viking dealer in York, PA (my hometown - I visit a couple of times a year) and sitting right inside was another 1473. I have never seen one for sale - anywhere - including eBay. The dealer couldn't even find a bluebook price for it as they are just not available - everyone who has one just keeps them. Dealer wanted $450 and I didn't balk. At least I will have parts if anything goes wrong with the first one - but I am so happy to have this 2nd 1473. What a work horse - doesn't balk at anything.

Now my 7570 story - I purchased it for machine embroidery in Jan 2004. I never coulod get the tension correct on it so rarely used it for embroidery - sewed perfectly though. Hop ahead a few years - about 2007 or 2008 - the local quilt shop/Pfaff dealer was interested in purchasing it so I took it in. Put on the embroidery unit - it worked for about 3 minutes and then quit. Wouldn't embroider, wouldn't sew - nothing. I left it there for the service person to check with Pfaff to see about the problem. After a few months, I was told that Pfaff said it was the mother board and it would cost $700-$800 to replace. No way was I going to put that kind of money into it - so took it home and it became a doorstop for another year or so. One day a friend was taking a machine up to a local (as in 50 miles - Hildebran, NC) shop for service and suggested I take the 7570 along and have them take a look. Left it there - got a call the next day asking what exactly was the problem. Told them it wouldn't sew at all - heard it humming along in the background. They cleaned it up - no repair necessary!!! I'm figuring that she just didn't want to belong to my local quilt shop!!!

I have not put on the embroidery unit as I'm thinking that may be where the problem is - but the darn machine work like a charm. Now I have 3 Pfaffs - do not need 3 - want to get rid of the 7570 as I really, really like my older one - don't care about all the fancy stitches of the 7570. If you live anywhere near Mooresville, NC (about 30 miles north of Charlotte) let me know if you might be interested in adopting her.

Very long store short - you cannot go wrong with one of the older German models - my mother's 1371 (a limited edition beautiful cream and lavendar model) still hums perfectly - my sister has that one but doesn't sew at all anymore. I personally do not like the newer models - to me they are kind of ugly - just a personal opinion here.

Thanks for listening to my long-winded answer.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC

IBQLTN 01-06-2011 11:53 AM

I had a used 1475, traded it in for a new 7550. Loved it! Went to work for the local Pfaff dealer. Bought the 7570. Loved it! Became a Pfaff educator from spring of 1996 to end of 1997. They sent me a 7570, loved it! Sold the older 7570, bought the one Pfaff furnished for an extremely good price.

I only sold the 7550 (with a great cabinet) in 2005 because we were moving from KC back to Jacksonville and moving in with my mother due to DH's extended unemployment. It's hard to go from 3 BR with full finished basement with 2 car garage to two rooms in a double wide mobile home. We sold A LOT!!

All of my Pfaffs were built before the company was sold. I also have a Designer 1 because when I moved to KC from Chicago I went to work for a Viking dealer. I sort of put my 7570 away and didn't pull it out again until about 6 months ago. It still sews like a dream! I haven't tried the embroidery even though I have about 25 cards because I've been embroidering with the larger design field on the D1.

Hope this is helpful.