Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pfaff Passport 2.0 Thread Usage (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pfaff-passport-2-0-thread-usage-t225356.html)

17#quilter 07-07-2013 06:39 PM

Pfaff Passport 2.0 Thread Usage

Can you use cone thread with machine or does it have to be a spool?

Prism99 07-07-2013 06:52 PM

You can use cone thread on any domestic machine if you use a thread stand. I *love* my new Superior Threads thread stand, but you do not necessarily have to spend money on a thread stand. Sitting the cone inside a glass jar or coffee mug behind the machine usually works. You do usually need a thread net on the cone so the thread doesn't fall down and get tangled underneath the cone, but thread nets are inexpensive.

Merivale 07-07-2013 07:08 PM

If you use a cup or a mug this is fine. I had a little trouble with my tension until someone suggested I tape a saftey pin to the back of my machine just behind where the reel of thread would be and run the cone thread through the bottom hole of the pin. It worked a treat and I have been using different brands of cone thread with no more problems since. Happy stitching.

auntpiggylpn 07-07-2013 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 6165241)
You can use cone thread on any domestic machine if you use a thread stand. I *love* my new Superior Threads thread stand, but you do not necessarily have to spend money on a thread stand. Sitting the cone inside a glass jar or coffee mug behind the machine usually works. You do usually need a thread net on the cone so the thread doesn't fall down and get tangled underneath the cone, but thread nets are inexpensive.

I use a coffe mug placed behind my sewing machine and I don't use a net. You can buy the nets at Hancock Fabrics and the aren't too pricey; less than $3 with a coupon.

Girlfriend 07-07-2013 08:20 PM

How do you like the new Pfaff Passport 2.0? I am considering one....

QuiltnNan 07-08-2013 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 6165263)
... You can buy the nets at Hancock Fabrics and the aren't too pricey; less than $3 with a coupon.

you can also get them free at your local florist... they have tons of them that protect their flowers in transit

romanojg 07-08-2013 04:17 AM

Yes you can, if its a large spool either place it on the table or in a coffee cup. It should have something to guide it at the top of the machine to keep from having problems with tension. Plus it will also prevent it from slipping over the side and get tangled up in your take up bar (you know the thing that you turn on the side that raises and lowers the needle) this happens a lot and then it has to get serviced. You can by a spool holder, use the safety pin taped to the back of the machine or make a spool holder out of a wooden paper towel holder, put dowels in the bottom of the base and then the round eyelets screwed into the top and you have the spool holder plus the thread guide all in one.

Weezy Rider 07-08-2013 06:09 AM

If you buy the more expensive metal spool holder, it does a better job. Doesn't pull or twist with each hitch in the thread.
The plastic ones bend.