Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pfaff sewing machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pfaff-sewing-machines-t33421.html)

Schill93 03-13-2020 10:42 AM

It works fine, except as noted for the bobbin . It has a piece broken off of it. Was planning on taking it to a dealer to see if it could be repaired, but then discovered how to hold thread when winding that works fine. Other than that, no mechanical problems. Seller had good reputation on line.

The first one is a mechanical one that I bought off goodwill online. It too works very well except for same problem with bobbin winder. I like that that one does not have a computer board, and may outlive the newer one.

Blue Button 04-04-2020 02:40 AM

I have a Pfaff Creative Vision 5.0 that I bought as a retirement gift to myself in 2009. Only minor repair (feed dogs wore out). I sew almost everyday. Love it although it was a little scary when I first got it (embroidery machine also) but took the free classes and learned alot. Love my Pfaff.

MeganMills 04-13-2020 12:26 AM

I know I'm really late to this party, but I read that IDT means Integrated Dual Transportation. I guess seamsters think of "feeding" the fabric through the machine rather than "transporting" it (think of the feed dogs). So for the purposes of describing the function in sales brochures, advertising and marketing and such it's the Integrated Dual Feed.

MeganMills 04-13-2020 12:41 AM

In response to Nana 51, message 43:

I have a Hobbymatic 935. It's a little workhorse and never skips a beat. I don't think it'll ever really "break down" if it gets an annual service. And there's no worries about computerised parts dying or being impossible to replace etc, etc.

It only has 3 needle positions, Left, Right and Centre - so that's something to think about if you like loads of needle positions. And its maximum stitch width is 6mm so if you want wider that's another thing to note. It has a good range of useful stitches and the stitch quality is excellent. And she's strong!

You can download the manual online so I recommend doing that and reading it (watch the manual though, it is for both the 935 and 955 models - the 935 is just a touch less advanced - so you have to be sure you're reading the instructions for your model). Reading the manual will tell you about all the stitches and features it has (or doesn't have compared to what you might be used to and don't want to give up).

Everything it does do, it does well - and many of the feet that work on the more modern Pfaffs will also work on the 935 so that's handy too. But do be a little bit careful about that, the feed dogs on the 935 are a bit narrower than modern Pfaffs so not everything is backward compatible. My 935 came with a 1/4 inch foot and I love it.

This is one machine I'm keeping regardless of anything else I might get if I won Lotto.

kellyer21 04-13-2020 07:04 AM

I have a Pfaff 1222e that i love, and still need to take a class to learn more about it. It has a built- in walking foot, can't remember the name. Is that the IDT you're talking about? Ive actually never used it. I thought it was only used for quilting. Should i be using it in all situations? I'm making face masks right now and as stated the two pieces of fabric are really difficult tokeep together at the very end of a line of stitching. Thanks!

SuzzyQ 04-13-2020 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by kellyer21 (Post 8377324)
I have a Pfaff 1222e that i love, and still need to take a class to learn more about it. It has a built- in walking foot, can't remember the name. Is that the IDT you're talking about? Ive actually never used it. I thought it was only used for quilting. Should i be using it in all situations? I'm making face masks right now and as stated the two pieces of fabric are really difficult tokeep together at the very end of a line of stitching. Thanks!

Use it all the time - I've been sewing on a 1222 for over 40 year and have rarely found a situation where the IDT doesn't improve performance.

leaha 04-13-2020 09:33 AM

I am a Phaffie, I only have 5 right now, 4 are the 7570s the last German made machines, which also do embroidery, and have lovely fancy stitching. I had a 1229 a sister talked me out of, it was a work horse, as are my 7570s. Love the IDT, could not sew without it. I learned to sew on a a PfaFF back in the 50s and have stuck with them after trying out several other brands over the years., They are really well made machines, IMHO

NancyJG 04-14-2020 07:42 AM

I have the Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2 and really love everything about it, especially the IDT. But lately I've been having a problem with a simple straight stitch not looking clean and crisp. I now have to do topstitching with my old cheapie Singer. Anyone else have that problem? I've looked everywhere to find the solution. One thing I read said to disengage the IDT! Any suggestions would be helpful bucause I absolutely this Pfaff.