Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pfaff or viking long arm (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pfaff-viking-long-arm-t233762.html)

quiltmom04 11-01-2013 06:41 AM

Pfaff or viking long arm

Does anyone have a Viking or Pfaff long arm? What do you think of it? I'm still looking around, but keep coming back to these.

mighty 11-01-2013 07:20 AM

I had a Viking 18x8 on Imperial frame, good machine. I have since purchased a babylock jewel on pearl frame which I love. The Viking and Phaff are the same machine.

Prism99 11-01-2013 10:05 AM

I'd probably be looking at companies that have been in the longarm business longer (or are better known for longarming). My current favorite is Innova with Lightning Stitch, but Gammill and HandiQuilter are also well-known.

There are quite a few groups on groups.yahoo.com for specific machine brands. The homequiltingsystems group there is another good one, with many members and a variety of setups. These are good places to research brands.

romanojg 11-01-2013 02:31 PM

Im interested in the new Viking sit down unit. I figure by the time I can afford it I might be needing the sitdown with my back as it is.

Nilla 11-01-2013 03:03 PM

I have the Pfaff PowerQuilter P3. It's a nice machine and the only issues I've had have been user error. I was considering the BL Crown Jewel and the Juki Virtuoso as well, but decided on the Pfaff because of excellent local dealer service. If the dealer hadn't been a consideration I probably would have chosen the Juki because it was a little less expensive. I didn't like the bobbin winder for the Crown Jewel, but the computer system on it seemed very user friendly.

I'm still struggling with my LA although I've had mind for nearly a year now. It doesn't come easily to me and I don't love the process the way I love planning and piecing the tops, but again, it's user issues that I struggle with, not the machine.

QKO 11-01-2013 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg (Post 6381394)
Im interested in the new Viking sit down unit. I figure by the time I can afford it I might be needing the sitdown with my back as it is.

The new Viking Platinum 16 sitdown machine looks almost exactly like the Handi Quilter Sweet 16, and uses the same optional stitch regulator. I wonder if they are indeed the same machine?

quiltmom04 11-01-2013 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 6381071)
I'd probably be looking at companies that have been in the longarm business longer (or are better known for longarming). My current favorite is Innova with Lightning Stitch, but Gammill and HandiQuilter are also well-known.

There are quite a few groups on groups.yahoo.com for specific machine brands. The homequiltingsystems group there is another good one, with many members and a variety of setups. These are good places to research brands.

Thanks, I'll have to look - hadn't thought of that!