Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pfaff vs Babylock opinons please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pfaff-vs-babylock-opinons-please-t31930.html)

Chay 12-19-2009 01:17 PM

I went downtown to run an errand for my husband this morning and made the mistake of going into our local sewing store. I came out with my head spinning and stars in my eyes. I was looking at the Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 ($2299), and the Babylock Espire ($2499) and Quest ($1899). They also had a used Pfaff 4872 serger for $595. This would be a big step up for me but I just retired and have lots of time to indulge my sewing fantasies. Any opinions on the pros and cons of any of these machines? Thanks!

barnbum 12-19-2009 02:23 PM

Wow!! I never see questions about Quest! I bought one a year ago and after an initial adjustment period when I wanted to throw it out the window...I now LOVE it. When I researched new machines, my top priorities were a larger throat area and a clear 1/4" marking. I only wanted/needed a few stitches. The Quest came with so much more than I wanted, but I love it. The trouble in the beginning was finding the thread it likes. If you happen to decide on the Quest--start with Gutermann polyester thread and it should be happy.

PS I bought the machine from a Pfaff dealer, but didn't try Pfaffs because they were more expensive. I paid $1000 for the Quest--special promotion last year for the older models as new ones came out.

quiltnut4ever 12-19-2009 02:48 PM

I actually own both, Pfaff 7550 (older) and a Babylock Ellure. I must say I love my Babylock, my Pfaff is a back up. Both are exceptional and I checked out the one you mentioned, the 4.0 and fell in love but not in my budget at all. I'd go Pfaff since their engineering and IDT foot are great!

BellaBoo 12-19-2009 03:16 PM

Select the one you like and don't second guess your choice. Congratulations on having a choice! Post and let us know which one you decide on.

MadQuilter 12-19-2009 03:19 PM

I have 3 Pfaffs, an older Quilt and Craft for backup and classes, a 2056 that I got an awesome deal on, and a GrandQuilter.

When I got the 2056, I also looked at the Expressions, and did not like what I read in some of the reviews. It's one of those try it and buy it decisions.

If I were in the market again, I would give Janomes a closer look.

Have fun with your purchase.

barnbum 12-19-2009 03:42 PM

Janome is what I suggest to folks, too. I tried one when I was shopping and loved it!! It's quieter than the Babylock, but the one with the same "stuff" as the Quest was $500 more, and the throat wasn't any bigger than the machine I had... so that's why I went with the Quest. I did love the feel of that Janome... it was a tough decision.

Melinda in Tulsa 12-19-2009 03:54 PM

Go to www.patternreview.com and look over the reviews on the machines you are interested in. I know the Pfaff hasn't gotten very good reviews and the Quest Plus and the Espire do. I am saving my pennies for the Espire!

Chay 12-19-2009 04:10 PM

I did go to patternreview and was surprised that the Pfaff didn't have particularly glowing reviews. Unfortunately, the nearest Janome dealer is about 50 miles away and I want to deal with someone closer. I have a call in to a friend of mine who has a Quest so I'll be interested to hear what she has to say. BellaBoo you are right; in the end you just have to choose and not second guess. I'm lucky to be in a position to buy any of these machines.

barnbum 12-19-2009 04:17 PM

Okay, since you're still researching, here's more I like about the Quest: the even feed foot is automatic. You can lift it up, but other wise it's always there. The 1/4" seam line is marked so clearly in many ways and on both sides. All other seams allowances are marked as well. I just finished two ragged with 1/2" and what a piece of cake! My quilts have never matched up as well! My first machine didn't have one at all, so I relied on a magnet to hold it, but it had to be taken off every time I changed the bobbin! So, you can see why I get so danged excited about this feature. The bobbin is easy to change and you don't have to unthread your machine to do it--it's separate. I love that there are two needle plates--one for quilting and one for everything else.

I'd suggest you go try all the machines you want before you decide. ON the day I had to choose, I drove all over the place. I tried Berninas--loved that machine, but the throat was shorter than my machine! I tried Janomes--loved them too. But, overall, I'm 100% happy (now) with my Babylock.

It's a hard decision... good luck!

gailmitchell 12-19-2009 04:35 PM

I have 2 Pfaffs and really like them both. I use the older one that is 30 years old the most. I think the model is 1471 and it has the IDT. I couldn't live without that. I have a Pfaff Embroidery 2140 and I liked that too. I had a bit of a problem with the presser foot not wanting to stay up when I lift the leaver. My dealer fixed it but it's going the same way. I've had it for about 8 years now.

I agree with one of the replys about buying a used machine. My next machine will probably be a used Pfaff with IDT.

I think babylocks come with IDT - the integrated walking foot now.