Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Photo Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/photo-quilt-t225920.html)

MAMs 07-16-2013 05:33 AM

Photo Quilt

A good friend and I were brainstorming on ideas for her parents' 50th. I thought of a photo quilt and am starting to research how to do this. Of course the best research comes from experience quilters. So please give me the do's and don't s. Your successes and of course the lessons you learn from attempts. I am a believer that I can learn from your mistakes.

Thanks so much!!!!

klgls 07-16-2013 06:18 AM

I made one for our parents one Christmas. I purchased the photo fabric that you run through your inkjet printer. But now I just use white/off-white fabric and iron it on freezer paper and run it through my printer. Works just as well and a whole lot cheaper. I had trouble finding freezer paper and while at our local Hen House, I asked the butcher if I could have a piece (needed it for a quilt I was making) and he gave me a 8' long piece (16 inches wide) free. Said I could get some anytime I wanted it as he knew I shopped there frequently for meat. I don't have a photo right now to attach - but I simply bordered each photo and then sashing between the blocks and rows. My parents loved it. However, that was a few years ago - now they have 19 grandkids and 39 great-grandkids - don't think I'll attempt another one for them. LOL. Good luck on yours.

Earleen 07-16-2013 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by klgls (Post 6180304)
I made one for our parents one Christmas. I purchased the photo fabric that you run through your inkjet printer. But now I just use white/off-white fabric and iron it on freezer paper and run it through my printer. Works just as well and a whole lot cheaper. I had trouble finding freezer paper and while at our local Hen House, I asked the butcher if I could have a piece (needed it for a quilt I was making) and he gave me a 8' long piece (16 inches wide) free. Said I could get some anytime I wanted it as he knew I shopped there frequently for meat. I don't have a photo right now to attach - but I simply bordered each photo and then sashing between the blocks and rows. My parents loved it. However, that was a few years ago - now they have 19 grandkids and 39 great-grandkids - don't think I'll attempt another one for them. LOL. Good luck on yours.

How did you treat and for how long after taking out of printer. I use the freezer paper method also and it works fine. Just wondering how you finished it for the quilt. Thanks for any info.

quilts4charity 07-16-2013 06:58 AM

I bought a high quality white cotton and treated with the bubble jet set, then did the freezer paper and print out on mine worked great and washed up really nice with no fade out, I alternated pieced blocks with the print outs that I had framed with strips.

mighty 07-16-2013 07:20 AM

Thank you for the info. Have not made one yet but would like to.