Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Photo quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/photo-quilting-t21.html)

patricej 12-17-2006 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
PatriceJ I would like to hear more about designing your fabrics

I was making a quilt some years ago using some fabric prints I just loved. I hadn't bought enough of one and couldn't find more anywhere. I used Corel Draw to combine several of the graphics that come with the program. The result wasn't close enough to the fabric I'd bought to use as a substitute, but I have been able to use it for a lot of other projects. (As to the quilt that started the whole thing ... I just settled for a smaller one.)

Since then, whenever I need something I can't find - or can't find for a reasonable price - I just fire up Corel Draw and create something myself. I never have to worry about buying too much or - worse - running out. I print what I need as I need it. It's especially handy when I want to use the same print on several differently colored backgrounds. I'm working on a Grandmother's Garden using nothing but fabrics I've printed myself. Little calico flowers. Same flowers, but different color backgrounds. Because the print usually fades at least one shade - even using Bubble Jet Set - in the first wash, the quilt will already look like an antique when it's done.

kathy 12-18-2006 04:12 AM

Patrice, thanks for answering, I was afraid you didn't see my request. I don't think I have corel but do have a draw program if I can figure out how to use it. I work 12 hours a day so I don't have a lot of time to mess around on the computer when I get home. (I'm at work now) Shhhh. Anyway I have a chicken and I think she would make a beautiful piece of fabric, I tried taking a picture and blowing it up but it got too distorted. She almost looks like she's wrapped it a brown and tan paisley print. I'm making a quilt and using photos of some of our chickens and thought if I could make some fabrics to match it would really set it off. Well maybe next time.
kathy

patricej 12-18-2006 11:57 AM

If you email your photo(s) to me at [email protected] I'll see what I can come up with for you. No charge, no strings attached. Just to see if I can turn them into something you can use.

kathy 12-18-2006 12:15 PM

Patrice, you're a doll. I'll bring them with me tomorrow and send them to you.
Your new pal,
Kathy
lol

kathy 12-19-2006 04:31 AM

Ok Patrice, the ball's in your court.

ShellLady65 09-15-2011 10:11 PM

I am soooo confused after reading all the photo quilting techniques ...the way I remember you take a photo to Kinkos or some place and have it put on transfer paper. This was a few years back. Now that I have grandchildren and would love to make each a quilt with family photo's/memories I can find nothing that will work for me..I do not have a printer set up or any type of elaborate quilting equipment. I'm just getting into "big peoples" quilting though I spent years making baby quilts way back when...I'm brand spankin new to the Quilting Board also...HELP....thank you...marion aka Shelllady65 :roll:

purrfectquilts 10-08-2011 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by ShellLady65
I am soooo confused after reading all the photo quilting techniques ...the way I remember you take a photo to Kinkos or some place and have it put on transfer paper. This was a few years back. Now that I have grandchildren and would love to make each a quilt with family photo's/memories I can find nothing that will work for me..I do not have a printer set up or any type of elaborate quilting equipment. I'm just getting into "big peoples" quilting though I spent years making baby quilts way back when...I'm brand spankin new to the Quilting Board also...HELP....thank you...marion aka Shelllady65 :roll:

Check out this site. Lots of information on how to print photos. www.cjenkinscompany.com

This site covers printing on fabric. The kind you were referring to in the past was printing on a certain paper that you ironed onto the cloth (transfer paper). Printing directly on the fabric allows you to use it in many, many ways.

ShellLady65 10-08-2011 04:28 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you Purrfectquilts. I hope to find what I need at this site. I did really enjoy the transfer paper. Found it an easy way to print/paste photos onto material...Shelllady65

cdmmiracles 10-08-2011 04:48 PM

what is the large label maker? where do you find it? Do you just iron the material to it and then it goes through printer or what? I would love to make one for my DIL!
Thanks Crystal

judylg 10-08-2011 08:04 PM

Thanks for all of the information!