Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Photographing quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/photographing-quilts-t18466.html)

BlueChicken 04-02-2009 12:46 PM

So often when we take pictures and then post them, we end up commenting "the colours are not as bright".

Does anyone have any tips on how to take good photos?

I have a decent digital camera that does almost everything automatically, but still I get shots where the colours are dull and not accurate, or it's all out of focus.

beachlady 04-02-2009 12:57 PM

When you find out, let me know!!! I have been thinking of taking a class at adult ed on photography.

BlueChicken 04-02-2009 12:58 PM

I seem to manage photographing single blocks ok, using the little flower setting on the camera. The colours in those are always accurate and clear.

It's doing the whole quilt that doesn't work well. The magazines always make it look easy!

Moonpi 04-02-2009 01:33 PM

Those magazine photographers use filters and lenses to keep colors true. Any photo editing software worth its price will correct fading.

Another thing to keep in mind is that how it looks on YOUR monitor may not be how it looks on others'.

BlueChicken 04-02-2009 01:45 PM

ohhhh.... never thought of that. I have photoshop, might have to go and have a wee play.

JoanneS 04-02-2009 03:51 PM

I don't know if this makes a difference, but my DH says to ALWAYS use the flash, even with a digital camera that decides for itself.

BlueChicken 04-02-2009 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
I just never seem to know where to hang a quilt to photograph it. Can't wait until summer- I will photograph them outdoors. They always look better outdoors.

That gives me an idea.... I can hang them on the clothesline to take photos.

Courtepointe 04-02-2009 04:13 PM

I think it would look nice to have all the quilts I've made hanging on the clothesline, gently moving in the breeze on a sunny day.

JoanneS 04-02-2009 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Courtepointe
I think it would look nice to have all the quilts I've made hanging on the clothesline, gently moving in the breeze on a sunny day.

That reminds me of the time I bought a BOX of used ties (I think it was from a Boys & Girls Club Fundraiser) and washed them in the machine - figuring if they fell apart, I didn't want to use them anyway. However, I wasn't brave enough to put them in the dryer, so I hung them on the clothesline. My DH took a picture. If I find it, I'll post it. It really was funny. I took the facings out and used some of them for foundation piecing the year my GD asked for a red robe for Christmas. I decorated it with tie (not Thai) silk blocks of burgundy and gold.

I really got off the phot subject, didn't I!

I often hang quilts on the clothes line to photograph them. If they're heavy, th photo is a bit wobbly!

beachlady 04-02-2009 05:12 PM

I love hanging them on the clothes line, except on the ocean here, we usually have a breeze, so you have to catch them on the down low.