Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Photography Stand for Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/photography-stand-quilts-t307403.html)

JENNR8R 10-12-2019 01:42 PM

Photography Stand for Quilts

I'm thinking about buying a telescopic stand to take photographs of my quilts outside. I don't have a good wall in my house that shows my quilts well.

I know nothing about these stands and how much I should spend on one. Does anyone have any recommendations?

GEMRM 10-12-2019 02:52 PM

I can't answer re recommendations as I'm unfamiliar with that type of stand, but I do pose a question ---
Are they sturdy enough to hold the weight of a quilt?
Just something to consider if you haven't already done so....

mjkgquilt 10-12-2019 03:25 PM

I wait for a day without moisture on the grass. Lay the fished quilt on the grass and take a picture.

JENNR8R 10-12-2019 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by mjkgquilt (Post 8312586)
I wait for a day without moisture on the grass. Lay the fished quilt on the grass and take a picture.

That's inadequate for entering a picture in a show. I need a stand for outside.

nativetexan 10-12-2019 03:43 PM

I like to put mine over the clothes line, fence or a bench outside for the sunlight when I can. Inside is a bit tricky

JENNR8R 10-12-2019 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 8312589)
I like to put mine over the clothes line, fence or a bench outside for the sunlight when I can. Inside is a bit tricky

That's inadequate for entering a picture in a show. I need a stand for outside.

thimblebug6000 10-12-2019 04:40 PM

I'm sorry I don't belong to the guild any more, but we had one that was used regularly for photo taking. I wonder if you could contact a company that rents the quilt hanging frames at a quilt show, they might have a good suggestion.

Onebyone 10-12-2019 04:51 PM

I have one I bought on Amazon. It will telescope out and up to hold a king size quilt. We use them at guild and have several different brands. All are a pain to set up and take down even the new ones. Before you buy read the reviews. Amazon has most brands. Some are designed to hold paper backdrops. You want the canvas backdrop stand. I use the large diameter cafe hooks hooks to hold a quilt if it does not have a sleeve. I don't see why so many think it's needless to buy one. I use mine a lot. It makes a great background to display a quilt at many functions.

JustAbitCrazy 10-12-2019 06:37 PM

I bought one and like it alot. It's quick and easy to set up and take down. I bought shower curtain loops with pincher clips on them to slide over the rods and hold the quilts by the clips. Mine is "Vu-Pro" and comes in it's own zipper bag. It wasn't cheap, but not exorbitantly out of reach, either, somewhere between $100-300, if my memory serves me right.

quiltingshorttimer 10-12-2019 06:50 PM

our guild has a portable stand--many quilt designers and guild program presenters have the same kind. It's basically a stand with 2 legs(adjustable) with a rod at top. You need a hanging sleeve on the quilts. It comes in hard sided carry case. Not sure of exact price but I seem to remember someone saying over $200.
I do see why one comes if Very handy for picture taking.