Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Picking fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/picking-fabric-t247650.html)

Fifee 05-30-2014 06:55 PM

Picking fabric

Im only on my 3rd quilt, first 2 were simple charm packs of which the 1st one turned out fine and the second was a bit more eek! Now I didnt have problems with the colour choices as they were charm packs so for the most part they blend together. This 3rd one is fairly straight forward again and its boring for me, I want to explore colour. And now Im starting to look at other quilts and thinking about colour choices and getting a bit freaked out by the whole thing.

I completely understand colour relationships and work with them quite well but for the life of me patterns terrify me and I dont really know where to start. Every quilt I look at I will either buy the fabric used or suggested but I want to be able to strike out and use fabrics that really appeal to me! Part of the problem is that I dont have that great a LQS where I can go and pull out fabrics and have a good look and whittle down a selection and its hard to do that process on the internet. So again I buy stacks of fat quarters and layer cakes and hope to pull them together with white, how exciting!

So tell me your secrects; how do you choose your fabrics.

Fiona (Fifi).

Chester the bunny 05-30-2014 07:26 PM

There was a wonderful link by Auntie V on the board to a website where you can get much inspiration for color combination http://design-seeds.com
I love it!

Terri D. 05-30-2014 08:32 PM

One way to go is to pick a print that you love and build around it, pulling fabrics in that complement your print.

Another way to select fabrics is to use complementary colors (those opposite on the color wheel) in a quilt, experimenting with value (light/dark) and texture.

Yet another approach is to use fabrics of a single genre like 1930s or vintage reproduction.

It's a shame you don't have a great quilt shop in your area, but maybe you can compensate by attending a few quilt shows in your area; studying the quilts there should help with your research. A visit to the quilt book reference section of your local library can also provide you with a lot of ideas.

Jan in VA 05-30-2014 08:33 PM

I spent the first 5 years of my now 30+ years quilting career regularly buying 1/2 to 1 yd. blender fabrics to build my stash.

Blenders are those fabrics that almost read as solids from a distance; they compliment and can be used with many different larger print focus fabrics; they are best without a lot of contrast in their small prints; they cover the value spectrum from very light to very dark within each color.

Eventually I had collected 12"-14" high folded stacks of blues, reds, green, yellows, pinks, purples, aquas, blacks, and neutrals......most one yard or less in length. From these I can now make king-sized quilts directly from my own stash. I still buy fabric this way, picking blenders that appeal to me without haaving a particular quilt or pattern in mind. Now when I find a larger "theme" print that I can't live without I usually have most the complimentary fabrics I need to go with it. I recently made a curved log cabin quilt in yellow, aqua, and red using 30 different fabrics from my stash in those colors. It is my favorite quilt and I've taught workshops on this pattern.:) Wish I had a photo.

Jan in VA

luvTooQuilt 05-30-2014 08:42 PM

I did the same as Jan.. I began with Fqs' then quickly realized that wasn't enough fabric then moved one to 1/2 yards and still wasn't enough, then yards, and, well now i just buy the whole dang bolt....

im a scrappy quilter so everything goes.. the uglies and brights, the vintage to modern.. it plays well when it cut up small....

however if im working on a specific quilt, ill begin with focal fabric and find coordinating "POP" fabrics...

ckcowl 05-31-2014 02:31 AM

there are a few on line shops that have a 'design wall' feature- where you can 'browse' their fabrics, add them to the design wall then look at them together, move them around, see how the relate to each other. fabric.com is one, I know there are many others- look for that feature when 'browsing' and try it out- playing with the fabrics might help. also, print off pattern pictures in black & white (like log cabins, stars, pineapples ect) and color with colored pencils or markers to try out the fabric colors you would like to try. there are sites that offer free (graph paper) you can print off- that comes in many different 'shapes' so you can design your quilt- in the colors you want.

Knitette 05-31-2014 03:27 AM

I completely understand how you feel - I was the same! I used to paint ceramics and at one time had a small business. However when I learned to quilt a few years ago, it was like everything I had ever known about colour went out the window! My mind was just blank - I felt like an idiot.

I don't think there's a particular 'secret' other than the courage of your convictions and the confidence to trust yourself to pick what you like and go with it (remember there are no quilt police). This will come with time/experience. Also, your tastes may change over time - happened to me.

Have a look at the Quilt Gallery here to get some more ideas - there are 8 pages. Also, many selvages have little dots which indicate the colours that will coordinate with that fabric. happy quilting :)

citruscountyquilter 05-31-2014 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 6738120)
I spent the first 5 years of my now 30+ years quilting career regularly buying 1/2 to 1 yd. blender fabrics to build my stash.

Blenders are those fabrics that almost read as solids from a distance; they compliment and can be used with many different larger print focus fabrics; they are best without a lot of contrast in their small prints; they cover the value spectrum from very light to very dark within each color.

Eventually I had collected 12"-14" high folded stacks of blues, reds, green, yellows, pinks, purples, aquas, blacks, and neutrals......most one yard or less in length. From these I can now make king-sized quilts directly from my own stash. I still buy fabric this way, picking blenders that appeal to me without haaving a particular quilt or pattern in mind. Now when I find a larger "theme" print that I can't live without I usually have most the complimentary fabrics I need to go with it. I recently made a curved log cabin quilt in yellow, aqua, and red using 30 different fabrics from my stash in those colors. It is my favorite quilt and I've taught workshops on this pattern.:) Wish I had a photo.

Jan in VA

I do the same as Jan. Another thing I look for is fabric that has a lot of different colors in it in somewhat of a small print. I find these fabrics so versatile as they go with so many other fabrics. It took time to build my stash but getting it a little bit of a time and the financial impact wasn't so great. I don't buy less than a 1/2 yard of anything but I also don't buy a lot either - no more than 1 yard unless I think I'm going to use it for a back or I'm really in love with it.
As far as color I spend a lot of time auditioning fabrics together. If I'm home then I put them together and put them someplace I'll be walking by throughout the day so I can see them in different light and moods. The color wheel works well to if you're starting more from scratch. The link that was shared earlier on this board was great as well. If you sign up get a daily e-mail with a color pallet suggestion. Here's the link: http://design-seeds.com

Cedar 05-31-2014 11:24 AM

I will either pick a fabric that speaks to me/reminds me of someone and choose a design inspiration (or pattern) I think will work with the fabric or choose a design first.

Once you have a design you can break down what kind of fabrics you're looking for -- bright large print, earthy leaf type print, contrasting solid or marble, something with several swirling colors, ect. This will limit your choices into something manageable and make scale decisions for you.

From there find the fabric you think is most important and find the one that you think is going to be hardest. . . Say bright large print and color swirl fabric.

Once you find those two together the others are easier. You know what colors of green will match and what color they have in common that would be a good accent.

This method occasionally will leave you frustrated looking for that perfect piece. I have the luxury of several area shops so I sometimes go to several stores looking for the perfect fabric, but it also gives me freedom to start with my favorite clearance fabric for the majority of the quilt.

Doggramma 05-31-2014 01:22 PM

I take inspiration from magazines and quilting blogs and browsing quilt sites/stores. I seem to gravitate toward trendy colors/fabrics and patterns. This is not so good for using up the huge stash I've accumulated though.