Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Picking out fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/picking-out-fabric-t239938.html)

Annie Pearl 01-30-2014 02:56 AM

Picking out fabric

I love to look at fabric....I have since I was a child. I can go in a QS and look for hours. Then when it's time to pick out fabric for my quilt I freeze. I can't seem to get it together and nothing seems to go. What is my problem? I know what I like I just can't make it work together. I am a novice quilter and an old girl that used to make all my own clothes when I was a kid. Why can't I put quilt fabrics together so they look right? Any suggestions?

NJ Quilter 01-30-2014 03:31 AM

When picking out fabric for a quilt, I usually start with my pattern. Wander around in the store until I find what I want for a focal, or primary fabric in the quilt. Will then move on from there. I usually end up carrying around bolts of fabric with me for what seems like hours sometimes. If you have difficulty trying to figure out coordinating colors, try using the dots on the selvage of your focal fabric...those are the individual colors used to make up that pattern/design.

I will also, lay out the bolts with the lesser fabrics hidden, so to speak, so I can get a sense of what the visual will be. Focal on top, an inch or two of next fabric and so on. Or how they are going to be used together to get a sense of how it looks together.

alleyoop1 01-30-2014 04:08 AM

I have a similar problem but the wonderful sale staff at my favorite fabric store always help me.

IrishgalfromNJ 01-30-2014 04:34 AM

There is a fabric website where you can look at several fabrics together. Fabric.com has an option to add fabric to a design wall so that you can preview it together with other selections.

judi wess 01-30-2014 05:15 AM

Think that NJquilter may have the answer for you. You probably want the best choice for the planned quilt and that is the hangup. Don't be afraid to audition several options and be sure to stand at least 12" back to view the collections. Another hint, when looking at a collection make sure the others are not in your sight, the others will influence what you want to look at. Whatever you choose, remember that they will look so much better when sewn together.

paulswalia 01-30-2014 05:22 AM

I agree with NJ quilter above. The focus fabric tells you what colors go with it. Once you've made a selection, buy a quarter yard of each and go home and make a sample block for your quilt. You'll know then if you like it.

mandyrose 01-30-2014 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Annie Pearl (Post 6543471)
I love to look at fabric....I have since I was a child. I can go in a QS and look for hours. Then when it's time to pick out fabric for my quilt I freeze. I can't seem to get it together and nothing seems to go. What is my problem? I know what I like I just can't make it work together. I am a novice quilter and an old girl that used to make all my own clothes when I was a kid. Why can't I put quilt fabrics together so they look right? Any suggestions?

annie I feel your pain I am exact same way when it comes to putting quilt fabric together,I also made my own clothes untill I retired in 2006 I like your name two of my favorite people have those names one annie and one pearl put together has a nice ring to it

bigsister63 01-30-2014 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 (Post 6543530)
I have a similar problem but the wonderful sale staff at my favorite fabric store always help me.

f
I agree! Most staff at LQS will be very willing to help you. Just do not be afraid to say "Thanks is not what I had in mind" if you do not like the fabric they choose. They will not be offended. After a while you will become more comfortable about choosing fabric. I still second guess myself about fabric choices even after about 5 yrs of quilting and many more of sewing. Just GO FOR IT!!!!!

PaperPrincess 01-30-2014 06:03 AM

Another way is just look for one fabric with colors that you love. On the selvedge there usually will be registration dots with the colors used in the printing process. You can use the dots to help find coordinating fabrics. I've done this and sometimes don't even buy my focus fabric, just used it to pull others.

mighty 01-30-2014 06:18 AM

I have found that starting with one focus fabric really helps.