Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pieced Backing Advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pieced-backing-advice-t280374.html)

Quilting Chris 07-12-2016 12:36 PM

Pieced Backing Advice

1 Attachment(s)
I'm working on a sashed QAYG throw which I had planned to be 5x6 rows/columns with 9.5" blocks. I purchased a layer cake in the same line to use as the back of each block. Each of the blocks was comprised of 4 square paper pieced identical sub-units. It was only after I'd completed about 20 of the sub-units that I realized I had printed the paper piecing pattern at 6.5" instead of 5.0" (unfinished size). As a result of that error, my completed blocks will be 12" rather than 9.0". So now, I've decided to make it 4x4 rows and add a bigger border. However, I need to figure out a way to convert 40 10" squares of fabric into 16 12.5" (unfinished) squares. I thought since I have 40 10" squares and 2 squares per fabric, I could cut 2 3x10" strips from each duplicate and and sew them on each side of the square with a corner square that matches my sashing, like the following picture. Does anyone have a simpler or more interesting idea that I can do. I generally prefer to spend less time on my backing squares than on the front when doing a QAYG project, so I'm looking for something quick. Thanks in advance.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553827[/ATTACH]

Barb in Louisiana 07-12-2016 01:51 PM

Your idea is good, but I think I would go with Lynnie's. Either buy more or use something else you have and recut as per your pattern.

PaperPrincess 07-12-2016 02:13 PM

I would also save the layer cake for a different project and purchase yardage. Not sure what the front block will be like, but using yardage will also avoid extra bulk when seams from the front & back intersect.

Quilting Chris 07-13-2016 02:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thank you for the great advice. I looked at my total yardage and found that I had extra of the cream print that I am using to sash the back. I don't have enough to do the whole back and even if I did, I'd need to cut it in 12.5" squares for the QAYG. Here is my current plan for the back. I don't think the extra seams will be a problem since I've done other QAYG throws with a couple of seams in the backing of each block.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553894[/ATTACH]

sushi 07-14-2016 04:27 PM

You go, girl!

kaylfordsollimo 07-14-2016 07:46 PM

My advice: save the layer cake and go shopping in your stash first, then elsewhere.

DOTTYMO 07-14-2016 10:10 PM

I think I would save the layer cake for a future quilt and hunt for one fabric piece for the back.

Quilting Chris 07-15-2016 05:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 7602119)
I think I would save the layer cake for a future quilt and hunt for one fabric piece for the back.

The throw is a Quilt As You Go (QAYG) project which requires the backing to be cut into 12.5" squares and 1" sashing. If I have to cut up the back, I like it to look interesting. If I discard the QAYG plan and send it out to a long armer it will cost another $100. Here is the back of another throw I made using part of a 6-pack. I was just hoping someone would suggest a simple block that I could do to help me correct my mistake. Thank you.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554016[/ATTACH]