Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pieces too small to keep (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pieces-too-small-keep-t237888.html)

Venicepinky 01-01-2014 12:33 PM

Pieces too small to keep

OK.....one of my new year resolutions is to purge my stash of small pieces. I love to applique and have some fabrics that are over 30 years old in my boxes sorted by color...How can I get myself to let go...It's always "I might need this little bit of this color later on" The boxes I use are the clear plastic ones that are about 10 by 15 inches and 9 inches deep and I can't shut the lids anymore. How do you do it?

quiltsRfun 01-01-2014 12:40 PM

String pieced blocks or crumb piecing. If you're not going to do that, keep whatever size you commonly use. Maybe 5", 2-1/2", 4", etc.

Jo C 01-01-2014 01:08 PM

I have just decided to ditch anything smaller than two inches. I have tons of 1.5" strips and i never use them. I'm not crazy about string quilts so i'm going to use what i have for a string quilt and be done with them. I cut all my scraps into 3.5, 2.5 and 2" strips or blocks. From now on, nothing smaller than that! Jo in NC

BellaBoo 01-01-2014 01:22 PM

When my scrap bin gets full I take it to guild to put in our big scrap tub (big trash can with lid) for anyone that wants them. I figure let the guild keep them instead of me having to store them. When it gets too full, the scraps are used for filler for beds for the animal shelter. I always have a bin getting filled with scraps in my sewing room and I have never used them all so why keep them.

justflyingin 01-01-2014 01:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Give away a box or two of them. It'll help whittle them down fast.

Personally, I use them up. In 2012 and 2013 I finished up several using 1.5" strips that looked like this:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]454266[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]454267[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]454271[/ATTACH]

and this one in 2013:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]454272[/ATTACH]

They are donation quilts.

sahm4605 01-01-2014 01:31 PM

I say donate them to a local guild or give them away on here.

stillclock 01-01-2014 01:32 PM

there are always people willing to take this stuff but to be honest my itty bitty bits just end up in the garbage can under my cutting space.

maybe it's time for me to join a guild and find people who want such things :)

aileen

Gramie bj 01-01-2014 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Venicepinky (Post 6486366)
OK.....one of my new year resolutions is to purge my stash of small pieces. I love to applique and have some fabrics that are over 30 years old in my boxes sorted by color...How can I get myself to let go...It's always "I might need this little bit of this color later on" The boxes I use are the clear plastic ones that are about 10 by 15 inches and 9 inches deep and I can't shut the lids anymore. How do you do it?

I have to agree. Last year a friend of mine and I boxed up all our unwanted scrapes and trade them with each other, we both make scrap quilt but we really get tired of basically using the same fabric types. This year what I did not use of hers and more of mine are taking a trip to guild and offered free to whom ever wants them.

Greenheron 01-01-2014 01:55 PM

Do you want to get rid of them or is there a little policeman in your head demanding you give them the heave-ho?

carolaug 01-01-2014 02:14 PM

I try an use most of mine that are 2 inch and larger but after using the same fabric over and over I get sick of looking at them I have given several bags full to Goodwill. I am going to see if the schools could use them for art class.