Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Piecing batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/piecing-batting-t197002.html)

JanTx 08-07-2012 09:24 PM

Piecing batting

Today I pieced batting for the second time. I just have too large a stack of batting pieces to open a new package of the increasingly expensive stuff! I'm just making this up as I go, but I lay it out on the quilt top - using as few pieces as possible. Today I had three pieces - last time just two. I butt the straightest edges up against each other and zigzag right over the join - using a fairly large zigzag. This one had two large pieces that I joined horizontally - making sure the join was not in the same place as the seam piecing the backing of the quilt. It lays very flat and seems secure. The third piece for this one was a long strip that went down the side. Not happy about it, but that's what I did. that long strip is about 6" wide.

I'm quilting it myself on my domestic machine. I've done about 1/2 the quilt and cannot tell where the batting seams are as I sew.

Any other advice? This is not a quilt I expect to see much daily use or to be washed frequently. If I can cut down on the collection of batting bits and pieces I have I'll be a happy camper.

Jim's Gem 08-07-2012 09:34 PM

Sounds like you did a great job. There is also a batting tape for joining the batting together. Sometimes I will just use some heat and bond cut into strips and bond the pieces together.

fien777 08-07-2012 11:49 PM

I often do the same....it's too expensive to throw away.

katier825 08-08-2012 01:17 AM

I seam mine together with the blind hem stitch - keeping the straight part of the stitch on the right and the zigzag part catching the batting. I like how it comes out better than using the zigzag on my machine. I put the 2 pieces together, trim the edge using a ruler and rotary cutter, pin, sew, then open them up and rub my finger along the seam until it's smooth.

I've pieced several this way and they come out great. When complete, I can not tell where it is pieced.

teddysmom 08-08-2012 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem (Post 5425499)
Sounds like you did a great job. There is also a batting tape for joining the batting together. Sometimes I will just use some heat and bond cut into strips and bond the pieces together.

Thanks for the info about the batting tape. I've just bought my first pkg of QD Request and I have some left over.
Glad to know I can use the leftover pieces.

burchquilts 08-08-2012 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem (Post 5425499)

Where do you buy that batting tape? I have tons of weird-shaped pieces that I'd love to be able to use!

GemState 08-08-2012 04:42 AM

I use fusible interfacing which is very inexpensive. Cut it into strips........I usually use 2" or 2 1/2". Use a damp press cloth when you iron it on. Been doing this long before the strips came on the market.

ka9sdn 08-08-2012 05:00 AM

This is the way I use up my larger leftovers. The smaller ones I put in hot pads or table runners. Unless you use a thin fabric or light color no one will ever know. We must be frugal.

ghostrider 08-08-2012 05:06 AM

I overlap the straight edges slightly and cut a wavy line through both layers top to bottom. Then I butt the curves and hand stitch together. It makes the join impossible to detect once the quilt is made...no lumps, bumps, or dense spots.

HillCountryGal 08-08-2012 05:34 AM

Me too! Pieced the batting together, but had way more pieces than you did. All I did was loosely baste them together, by hand. Figured the actual quilting would hold it all together. It did. Seems silly to not use all that left over batting.

Sometimes I use the small pieces when I make stuffed animals.