Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Piecing batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/piecing-batting-t210338.html)

lotzafabric 01-07-2013 09:33 AM

Piecing batting

Do any of you have a quick and simple method of piecing together batting? I have rather large pieces that I trimmed from my quilt after being machine quilted. It seems such a waste not to use them.

MadQuilter 01-07-2013 09:38 AM

If you overlay the pieces at the edges and then trim through both layers, you will have a matching seam. On a straight line you can use batting seam tape. On a straight or a serpentine seam you can use a wide zig-zag stitch to join the pieces.

cathyvv 01-07-2013 09:41 AM

I buy the batting tape that is made specifically for this. The tape is ironed over where you want to join the batting pieces, no batting overlap required.

I tried butting the pieces up to each other then zig-zagging them together, but found I didn't do it well enough. Always had a bump where the two pieces were joined. Some people do use this technique and have great results, probably because they have more patience than I do and have done it often.

wesing 01-07-2013 09:41 AM

As long as your sides are straight you can sew them together with a zigzag stitch. I use a different stitch to join mine but don't know what it is called. It looks like triangles laying between two parallel lines. Some people have also used a fusible tape and just iron it together. Once it is sandwiched and quilted you won't be able to tell it is pieced.

Darren

RedGarnet222 01-07-2013 09:44 AM

I sometimes cut fuseable interfacing into strips and iron them together carfully as to not scorch the batting. I used to sew them togther, but, I found the extra stitches inside to be bulky and you could feel them in there once the quilt was finished. I suppose if the quilt is a utilitarian one it would not matter.

running1 01-07-2013 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter (Post 5769033)
If you overlay the pieces at the edges and then trim through both layers, you will have a matching seam. On a straight line you can use batting seam tape. On a straight or a serpentine seam you can use a wide zig-zag stitch to join the pieces.

I've done this (stitching together using a zig-zag seam after trimming through two layers) with success... and I consider myself still a beginner... this is not difficult to do and with minimal practice, one can achieve excellent results... good luck! It IS a waste to throw all that batting away!!!

EasyPeezy 01-07-2013 09:46 AM

First, I make sure my batting edges are straight. Then, I use an overcast stitch just
to hold them together when I take it to the sewing machine. Then I use a 3 step
zig-zag stitch on my Janome. It holds the batting well without puckers.

ckcowl 01-07-2013 10:11 AM

i simply butt the edges together & do a wide zigzag to piece batting scraps together- works well for me- there is an iron on tape on the market specifically for joining batting but i could not justify the expense when zigzaging is just as easy & nothing special to buy.

pattypurple 01-07-2013 11:11 AM

I use my edge joining foot (I think that is what it is called. Has a "blade"down the center of the foot.) I guide the blade down between the pieces of batting and sew with a wide zig-zag

Jingle 01-07-2013 12:29 PM

I use poly batting and have made several quilt battings by sewing leftover strips together. I do it by hand and sew a ladder stitch or a large zig zag stitch.