Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Piecing Batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/piecing-batting-t216929.html)

MaryKatherine 03-21-2013 06:08 AM

Piecing Batting

How many of us cobble together batting to fit irregular or outsized quilts?
My latest is 94 square. I didn't want to waste a king size batting and the queens are 90 x 100+. I turned the batting and trimmed it and basted the cut off to the short size. I only needed to insert a piece about 10 square at one corner. I wouldn't do this on a customer quilt but for mine I economize where I can.
MaryKatherine

QuiltnNan 03-21-2013 06:16 AM

i've done that many times. sure is a money saver

Girlfriend 03-21-2013 06:18 AM

Once it's quilted, there's no way anyone can tell you pieced the batting. I do it all the time, even on small projects.

carslo 03-21-2013 06:19 AM

Nearly every quilt I make - I have to piece the batting. I bought a roll of batting once and that worked the best minimal piecing but it was a lot of money to shell out at once :)

Becky Crafts 03-21-2013 06:21 AM

I also do it all the time. I can't afford to waste my resources, I'm on a budget. No one has ever complained! ;-)

BellaBoo 03-21-2013 06:28 AM

I use the batting tape. It's faster and easier for me then sewing batting together. It's almost impossible to tell it's been pieced together when quilted. My guild has six or seven longarmers and they bring in big bags of batting scraps to anyone that wants them. They have more scraps then they have time to mess with piecing together. No one in our guild has to buy batting at all if they want to piece the scraps. Many times we have too many batting scraps and have to donate them.

quiltstringz 03-21-2013 06:33 AM

I do for mine and for Charity quilts that I quilt for our group. I have tried and use both (depends on the mood) batting tape and sewing it together. Haven't had any issues so far

dunster 03-21-2013 06:37 AM

I buy batting by the roll and piece it when necessary. When I've accumulated a lot of batting scraps, I sometimes piece them all together for a quilt. Batting is too expensive to waste. I have tried whip-stitching (too much work) and using tape, but I've found that zigzagging the pieces together works best for me.

alwayslearning 03-21-2013 06:45 AM

To me, it is not even that batting is too expensive to waste. I feel wasting anything is wrong and I try not to take anything for granted. We live in a beautiful world with limited resources. Besides, who is going to see if I make a mistake sewing batting?

NJ Quilter 03-21-2013 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5943634)
I buy batting by the roll and piece it when necessary. When I've accumulated a lot of batting scraps, I sometimes piece them all together for a quilt. Batting is too expensive to waste. I have tried whip-stitching (too much work) and using tape, but I've found that zigzagging the pieces together works best for me.

This is what/how I do it as well. See nothing wrong with piecing batting for any quilt.