Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   piecing sizes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/piecing-sizes-t312649.html)

toogie 09-29-2020 05:51 PM

piecing sizes

What are the size of pieces, you most often use? I am cutting up fabric into precuts like jelly rolls, charms, mini charms even layer cakes. What would you cut more of? I am going through fabric that was passed on to me and I thought I could store it better, until I use, in precuts. May not take as much space, I don't know.....

Barb in Louisiana 09-29-2020 05:57 PM

Yours is a good question. Some of us don't cut anything up until we have a pattern and I am in that category. I am interested in what others have to say.

cjsews 09-29-2020 05:57 PM

I would cut into the largest piece possible. You can always cut down when needed. So if possible I would make layer cakes and jelly rolls

Kitsie 09-30-2020 07:40 AM

I agree with Barb, don't cut until you need it!

bearisgray 09-30-2020 08:12 AM

I also leave the pieces as large as possible. They do not stack always stack nicely,but so what?

juliasb 09-30-2020 08:42 AM

When I clean up my scrap basket or other times when I am doing precuts for "projects down the road" I cut 2 1/2" strips, 5" squares, 4 1/2" squares, and 10" squares. I also cut pieces for double wedding ring quilts. I do more of these as wedding gifts. and I am always in need of these smaller pieces. I have made 6 Queen size and 1 King so far. This is a great scrappy quilt too. I will also cut 3 1/2" squares. I will cut from my scraps as much as I can down to 2 1/2" squares. I do NOT cut other shapes than these at this time. Who knows what the future will bring. I am always open to change.

Anniedeb 09-30-2020 09:18 AM

I never cut my large pieces until I need to. I come up with a pattern idea, and go from there. I haven't used many strips, or layer cakes, charms etc. I'm not a scrappy quilter. I have an abundance of scraps, leftovers and smaller pieces that I will never use, but don't want to toss!

Pennyhal 09-30-2020 09:58 AM

I agree...don't cut it until you need it! I made that mistake once.

toogie 09-30-2020 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb (Post 8421567)
I never cut my large pieces until I need to. I come up with a pattern idea, and go from there. I haven't used many strips, or layer cakes, charms etc. I'm not a scrappy quilter. I have an abundance of scraps, leftovers and smaller pieces that I will never use, but don't want to toss!

Give them to someone like me willing to use, because leftover smaller pieces is what most of this is, although there may be a WOF that's 10 inches or less. It will be Scrappy tops or I Spy tops because it's not enough of any fabric collection. I think the jelly rolls could be subcut into half hexies, or JR sewn into rows and then cut into 9P, etc. Also the 10 in layer cakes can be made into the Double Slice like my Cottage Joy quilt in Pictures, or subcut into (4) 5 inch charms.
I am not cutting MY fabric yardages, just these scraps given to me, but was just wondering how other quilters usually cut. I am like you, not willing to toss, so I will cut up for use. I make charity quilts too, so it will be worth my time.

toogie 09-30-2020 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb (Post 8421565)
When I clean up my scrap basket or other times when I am doing precuts for "projects down the road" I cut 2 1/2" strips, 5" squares, 4 1/2" squares, and 10" squares. I also cut pieces for double wedding ring quilts. I do more of these as wedding gifts. and I am always in need of these smaller pieces. I have made 6 Queen size and 1 King so far. This is a great scrappy quilt too. I will also cut 3 1/2" squares. I will cut from my scraps as much as I can down to 2 1/2" squares. I do NOT cut other shapes than these at this time. Who knows what the future will bring. I am always open to change.

This is exact sizes I have been cutting. Nothing will match in pattern or color, but I think I can make something pleasing eventually. Thanks!