Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Piecing: Strictly by a Pattern OR Pattern Improv OR Wild Abandon! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/piecing-strictly-pattern-pattern-improv-wild-abandon-t186460.html)

mhollifiel 04-20-2012 06:04 AM

Rebecca said:

I, too, make quilts for Project Linus (& QOV) & I always think "Oh, this would be a good chance to try out a new pattern" & then I make another "Streak of Sunshine" or "Yellow Brick Road" or 9-patch. I'm boring.

My 2 cents:

You may think you're boring, Rebecca, but I know the kids don't care. And they certainly don't consider their quilt, made especially for them by you, boring! Thanks for all you quilt and give away even if they are all the same.

SuzyQ 04-20-2012 08:32 AM

I piece in whatever manner the mood strikes me. I have some hand piecing, some wool felt work being done by hand, a BOM pattern I'm following, Dear Jane, a pattern that I'm not following too closely, and scrappy string blocks and crumb blocks ... who whatever mood I'm in ... that's what I work on ... when I find it of course

Suzy

crafterrn1 04-20-2012 09:34 AM

As a pattern designer and long time user of EQ! I Love when my patterns are Morphed! Morphing is taking a pattern for inspiration, then using it to create a unique quilt. Not everyone is comfortable with Morphing. I understand that, but it adds to the fulfillment of creativity. I also have an extensive library of quilt books and patterns. I use them as a jumping off point! It is the joy in quilt making to do your own thing! The point is to enjoy it. No guilty feelings allowed when being creative! Luann in CT

Arleners 04-22-2012 04:28 PM

I agree with you. I have spent so much money on books and patterns, and I end up making my own creations. I teach a beginners class, and this time, I used a quilt design that started off the same for everyone. The class lasts over a period of 8 weeks. Each week, someone has made a major "resdesign" change. Instead of making them redo the quilt, I am changing the instructions for them. We are going to have so many different designs from the original pattern. The student tell me they like this as it makes them think of the possibilities instead of thinking in a box.

Scissor Queen 04-22-2012 04:41 PM

The first quilt I made I used a pattern. After that I've used a combination of patterns and designing my own.

Rose Marie 04-23-2012 06:31 AM

I dont change the blocks in a pattern but will use my favorite methods for making the parts of a block easier.

NanaCsews2 04-23-2012 06:35 AM

I have the same shelves you have. Lots of patterns are bookmarked and notes stuck in between the pages, but I seem to always do the creating and piecing without a pattern. The blocks and select sections may be from several different places, but I put together my own ideas. Haven't followed an exact pattern ever. So little time.

kateyb 04-23-2012 07:45 AM

I have done all three. I can follow a pattern if I really like it. Sometimes a pattern is a starting point. I have used parts of several patterns in one quilt, taken colors from one and used it in another. I have also been doing more of my own designs, which for me is lots of fun.

mhollifiel 04-24-2012 04:32 AM

You are a gifted teacher! Your students are learning independent skills and self reliance. It is a bit more work for you but such a class is always remembered as the "best I ever took"! Good for you and for your lucky students!

Originally Posted by Arleners (Post 5162409)
I agree with you. I have spent so much money on books and patterns, and I end up making my own creations. I teach a beginners class, and this time, I used a quilt design that started off the same for everyone. The class lasts over a period of 8 weeks. Each week, someone has made a major "resdesign" change. Instead of making them redo the quilt, I am changing the instructions for them. We are going to have so many different designs from the original pattern. The student tell me they like this as it makes them think of the possibilities instead of thinking in a box.

bigsister63 04-24-2012 05:27 AM

I follow patterns. I have only been quilting for about 2 years and use patterns to teach myself new methods/kinds of making blocks. I usually only make a pattern 1 time and then off to the next one! So many patterns -so little time. I ususally do not make pattern out of exact fabric and will often add/delite borders to make top fit size I want. I am also follow receipe exactly when cooking- I quess that I am not that creative!!! I create but am not creative!