Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Piecing While Traveling (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/piecing-while-traveling-t259377.html)

KimS 01-08-2015 11:10 AM

Piecing While Traveling

I'm working on a Grandmother's Flower Garden and would like to take it with me while traveling next month. I don't want to just put everything in a large tote bag since my EPP templates could get bent, the fabric wrinkled and creased, scissors and needles loose and so on. Then how do I protect the individual flowers once they're pieced? I know there are many here who do piece while traveling so what do you use to keep everything organized and safe?

ckcowl 01-08-2015 11:38 AM

Rubbermaid storage containers! They come in many sizesy/ shapes and are inexpensive. I have one that is fairly flat, square, holds finished ( flowers) one that is shaped like a pencil case, holds my paper pieces & cut fabric nice & neat, one that is a bit ( thicker) which holds my small scissors, spool of thread, small pincushion, and I have one big enough to hold all of them which even has a handle.

Doggramma 01-08-2015 01:31 PM

I use a Rubbermaid tote too, the one that's about shoebox size with a flip up lid.

Jackie Spencer 01-08-2015 01:43 PM

I buy the snack size plastic bags, for all my small pieces, I get them at Walmart

Sewnoma 01-08-2015 01:44 PM

I have a set of 3 plastic bins that snap to each other in a stack with a handle on the top lid. The top bin has dividers; that's where my needles, templates, pincushion, Thread Heaven, etc. goes. Next bin down is where I put all my fabric scraps and flowers-in-progress, and bottom bin is large enough to hold about a dozen finished flowers nice and flat (which is way more than I ever get done on a single trip) plus my small scissors. When the bins snap together, the bottom of each bin is the lid of the next, so they stay in a sort of tower that's really easy to carry around. I keep those supplies in that kit whether I'm traveling or not - it "travels" from the sewing room to the couch when I'm working on them, and then "travels" right back into the cupboard when I'm done!

I think I bought them at either Target or Joann's; it comes as a single unit.

luvspaper 01-08-2015 02:02 PM

I've always used smaller Ziploc baggies inside of larger Ziploc baggies. That way I can tuck them in just about any suitcase or travel bag along with having them out on the train/car/boat/plane.

mom-6 01-08-2015 04:41 PM

I use sandwich zip bags and put them on a snap ring to keep the colors in order if that is an issue. Then I put the whole thing in a larger zip bag along with small scissors, thread, needles, etc.
I usually have a small tote bag to hold my projects - easy to make one the size needed.

NJ Quilter 01-08-2015 04:57 PM

I have a small leather zippered pouch/bag that holds my scissors; thimble; needles; etc. I use that primarily for my hand quilting needs but could certainly be a traveling bag as well. Last time I was working on an EPP project, I prepped my pieces in advance and then sewed on the go. I made my own templates from file folders so I didn't have much of a concern with creasing and such. Just used a gallon ziplock to tote things around. But I do like the idea of a shoebox size plastic container (or just an old shoebox and rubber band for that matter).

dakotamaid 01-08-2015 05:28 PM

I use a cheap tacklebox from walmart for my hexie projects . Youcan purchase any size you need.

Peckish 01-08-2015 06:13 PM

I use a scrapbook tote. It's 12" by 12", is one inch deep, has latches that lock it shut and a carrying handle. It's perfect for my to-go handwork projects.