Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   PIF (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pif-t70384.html)

dreamboat 10-15-2010 07:25 PM

How does pay it forward work?

Candace 10-15-2010 07:26 PM

Do something nice for someone....send a person in need something you can spare and they PIF to someone else in the future when they're able.

ktbb 10-16-2010 03:24 AM

PIF is simply doing something for someone with no intention of getting anything in return..as Candace said the receiver can be encouraged to do the same for someone else.

ckcowl 10-16-2010 03:57 AM

pay it forward works like this...
if someone does something good for you (gives you something, does some act of kindness) that person expects nothing in return just tells you pay it forward...the next time someone you come across needs some act of kindness you preform the act; when the recipient says what can i do in return you tell them, just pay it forward, you expect nothing in return; you pass on the acts of kindness. and don't look back.
i have noticed some people seem to say they are paying it forward and yet they complain when they do not receive kudo's they seem to think they should be getting. i kind of believe that you should not expect anything in return, give and move forward, don't spend your time looking back for a pat on the back. it is supposed to be going forward, not backward.

Joanie Owen 10-16-2010 07:58 AM

When I bought my first house a plumber friend did lots of work at no charge to us and just said do something nice for someone that needs help. I've passed that on all through life.

Mary M 10-16-2010 08:43 AM

I too think the concept of PIF works as you see it. There is nothing more satisfying to me then to give to another person and just enjoy the pleasure of giving.True, receiving has it own pleasure, but we lift our hearts by giving. Sew many good people on this forum. It makes me feel sewwwwwwwwwww good to hear about the generosity of all who PIF. Today I received a box full of beautiful batik strips from a quilting buddy and I have such a wonderful feeling of feeling special. I grew up in a family of 8 kids and learned there wasn't always enough to go around and then I raised 4 kids which took a lot of giving. As I get older and older I see how much this PIF works not only as a giver but also as being special enough to receive something. Hugs to all you specia people. Mary M

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i have noticed some people seem to say they are paying it forward and yet they complain when they do not receive kudo's they seem to think they should be getting. i kind of believe that you should not expect anything in return, give and move forward, don't spend your time looking back for a pat on the back. it is supposed to be going forward, not backward.

Pzazz 10-16-2010 03:17 PM

We don't have a Starbucks where I live, but there is in the town where I meet for quilting. So...once a month I "treat" myself to a latte. If there is another car behind me, I sometimes pay for their coffee. Just a simple thing, but I always drive away with a smile on my face.

Patti