Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pilling Flannel on rag quilt?! Any Advice? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pilling-flannel-rag-quilt-any-advice-t174530.html)

Jmncolts 01-05-2012 07:03 AM

Pilling Flannel on rag quilt?! Any Advice?

2 Attachment(s)
Hello!!
I am new to this forum and I have a question if anyone is able to help!! I made this rag quilt and used flannel which frayed up nicely..but pilled after the first wash. Is there a better fabric to use that will still give the nice "rag" ruffle effect but would hold up better than flannel..or is it that I didn't use a good enough quality flannel? I did since use a pumice stone on the fabric and it worked pretty well but will it just pill again after rewashing?? I am about to start a baby crib comforter and I don't want the same thing to happen on that one!
I would appreciate any advice you may have!! :)
Thanks!
Jeanette

Wine Woman 01-05-2012 07:14 AM

Your quilt is very cute! I haven't had any problems with my flannel but I do use quilters flannel. It seems to be heavier than most. I'll be watching the this topic because I'm just starting a rag quilt from flannels from Joann's so I'm not sure what I will be up against! I also use a razor when I tend to come across pilling and it cleans up nice. Watch what you are washing the quilt with also. Try rewashing it with sheets or cotton items. No fuzzy or furry garments. This might help.

jcrow 01-05-2012 07:24 AM

Hope you can fix the quilt. I really like it. I made a flannel rag quilt and didn't quilt each piece. I didn't wash it before I gave it to my son and when he washed it, all the batting balled up in each piece. I felt so stupid. I totally spaced out quilting it and washing it before hand. Now he can't use it. What was I thinking? I've made them before so I knew better. I think I was in a hurry. But I really like making rag quilts...especially if I do it right!

Caroline S 01-05-2012 07:26 AM

Good quality flannel is a must. I use good quality flannel sheets, usually Portuguese flannel found at my favorite thrift store, for my rag quilts. If the flannel sheet still looks and feels good at the thrift store, then it comes home with me. Really good LQS flannel is spendy, so buy the best you can. I don't feel that Joanne's flannel is of the quality and weight that I would use.

auntpiggylpn 01-05-2012 07:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I made a rag quilt and used cotton for the front and flannel for the batting and backing. I purchased my flannel from Joann's and it was over $6 yard. I got pilling on the back of the quilt but I figure it is the back so no big deal. It does come off easily with a lint roller or a sweater shaver

babyboomerquilter 01-05-2012 08:12 AM

Some times ,even the best of flannels will pill. I wash them by themselves and hope for the best.

Anna O 01-05-2012 08:21 AM

Pilling is a bummer, for sure. Are there any particular brands that are better than others? I always hesitate to use flannel because I'm afraid of inferior quality.

Candace 01-05-2012 08:23 AM

Joannes' flannel is terrible for pilling. I bought a ton of it during the Black Fri. sale last year and have had nothing but pills, pills and more pills. Never again....

Annaquilts 01-05-2012 08:26 AM

I used Moda flannel and did not wash it till it was done. There was definitely pilling after washing it twice to rag it. As for Portugese flannel sheets, it pills too over time. Atleast the ones I can find now eventhough it is the same barnd I bought years ago. I buy new sheets and use them on my bed and from those of my children. Also with a rag quilt I do want patterns or checks found on the quilters cottons. I would also feel uncomfortable using used flannel from the thrift store if I gave the quilt away.

rvsfan 01-05-2012 09:57 AM

I have used flannel from Joanns and LQS. After the first pre-wash, the LQS flannel looked like it was 10 years old. I was extremely disappointed. To me Joanns and LQS worked out about the same - not great.