Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pillow Shams to match quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pillow-shams-match-quilt-t299038.html)

Jingle 08-21-2018 07:30 PM

I made shams for a quilt once, found them not easy to deal with everyday.
Now I just make pillow covers to match my quilts. They are little quilts, made like any other quilts. When I make the bed in the mornings, I just cover the pillows with them.

DJ 08-21-2018 09:07 PM

I always make shams for bed quilts. I use regular pillowcases on a couple pillows to sleep on, and put the shams on separate pillows for décor, so they don't need to be removed and put back on all the time.

I always quilt the top before making the sham. I've found that the envelope style closure always gaps, so I've started putting zippers or at least Velcro on the closures. Lately, I've been taking previously made shams and putting zippers in them. It seems like a pain to do, but I really like the results.

heron 08-22-2018 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 8114387)
I also use a slippery lining, like garment lining or rip stop nylon. I find that the pillow fills the sham better this way. An alternative is to use one of those satin zipper pillow protectors.

Some garment lining is poly and some is rayon (more expensive). If you use rayon lining from your stash, just be sure to pre-shrink it. Rayon can shrink mightily in the wash.

TAMARATJO 08-22-2018 07:30 AM

Thanks for all the help. I will use some fusible fleece I have already, and back the sandwich with some kind of fabric, and yes, quilt it too! Was hoping for something easier, but after all the effort on the quilt, why shortchange the pillow shams.

Gagigi 08-23-2018 02:16 AM

Love the idea of a separate pillow cover!

d.rickman 08-23-2018 07:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]599953[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]599954[/ATTACH]Here are a couple of pillow shams, which I made for my friend and then a set for myself (Birds) Just piece the front and add the batting, backing for the inside of your sham. Square up your shams, then cut backing fabric 4 inches longer than the front, cut that backing fabric in half, fold over the center and stitch a small seam where you cut the backing and add a piece of velcroe to the center of that seam, on the second half - make another seam add velcroe also in the center of the seam to match the other side. You can just stitch up all four sides at the outer edge - overlap the backing seam just enough so the velcroe will close nicely.

TAMARATJO 08-24-2018 07:29 AM

The bird pillow shams are gorgeous! Thanks again!

Rose_P 08-24-2018 07:55 PM

I have made a few. I used some velcro where the two parts overlap in the back, and one time I installed zippers (before sewing the back to the front. I quilted them to match the quilt they went with using muslin on the inside. I made flanges around the outside edges. This is actually a simple way of finishing them, quicker than binding or cording. To make flanges add borders front and back in whatever width you like, then sew the front and back together, right sides facing. Turn right side out and iron out the edges and corners. Then sew the required distance (2 inches or so) all around, through all layers. I'm probably not making that very clear, but it will be pretty easy to figure out.

TheMerkleFamily 08-25-2018 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by TAMARATJO (Post 8115625)
The bird pillow shams are gorgeous!

I agree! I've come back to look at them a few times to admire the beautiful colors, the construction and the great quilting motif that accents the birds so well - just gorgeous.

toverly 08-25-2018 05:00 AM

Love the bird shams, I too find it easier to purchase pillows for the shams and just use them like throw pillows over the pillowcase pillows. I think that's why I like them so much, it makes making the bed easier and there is no tucking of the quilt.