Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pin basting problems (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pin-basting-problems-t312441.html)

Julienm1 09-12-2020 04:18 AM

Pin basting problems

So I pin baste the heck out of this lap size top. Stretch the heck out of the backing...using a sheet this time. Smooth out the batting. Lay out the top. Smooth it out too and pin and pin and pin about 3-4" apart. Using the walking foot on my DSM but has small throat or regular size throat. Machine is a Singer that I bought at JoAnns last Dec.

So now I'm quilt and the walking foot is "moving" the fabric rather than sewing over it. OMG I think I solved the problem. It was making funny noises. I think I need a new quilting foot.

Homespun 09-12-2020 04:39 AM

Glad you discovered your problem.

patricej 09-12-2020 04:45 AM

walking feet can be temperamental.
sometimes it just takes removing it and putting it back on.
it can look like it's on correctly but have something slightly "off."

bearisgray 09-12-2020 04:46 AM

I've had better luck when I "just smooth" the backing (and other layers) rather than stretching it - because it will "relax" and contract and cause the other layers to "pucker" a bit when it is "released".

When the backing is stretched - think of a rubber band that is stretched - when you let go - it goes back to its "usual" size.

So - if you really stretched the backing - that could be part of the problem.

QuiltinGranny2 09-12-2020 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8417475)
I've had better luck when I "just smooth" the backing (and other layers) rather than stretching it - because it will "relax" and contract and cause the other layers to "pucker" a bit when it is "released".

When the backing is stretched - think of a rubber band that is stretched - when you let go - it goes back to its "usual" size.

So - if you really stretched the backing - that could be part of the problem.

So true, I found this out the hard way. Smooth the backing out but DO NOT stretch. Disastrous results.

Tartan 09-12-2020 05:56 AM

Make sure the little lever on the walking foot goes over the needle bar or it will not “ walk” and you get tiny stitches.

tropit 09-12-2020 06:23 AM

I had a question about walking feet that I posted in the vintage Sewing Machine section and bkay gave me this advice:

<I>
I've found you have to reduce the pressure on the presser foot, reduce the tension and elongate the stitch to about an 8.

bkay</I>

I hope that helps.

Julienm1 09-12-2020 06:49 AM

UPDATE!!!---Found my Baby Lock foot...machine died and over $500.00 to fix...NOT!...Put it on the Singer...no issue. Quilting like a charm. TU to everyone who had suggestions. I had the Singer attached correctly (learned about the BAR the hard way years ago...lol)

Bear...TY for your suggestion regarding smoothing everything. I will try NOT to be a "stretcher" in the future.

bearisgray 09-12-2020 07:58 AM

When I put the backing on my table for layering - I do put a "light tension" on it - just enough to keep it from bunching up when I add the batting and top .

What I do - I do smooth it out - and tape the ends to the table with masking tape - and the part that hangs over - I make a temporary "pocket" and put a yardstick or curtain rod into the pocket to keep it from wrinkling on me.

MaryRinWi 09-12-2020 08:49 AM

I have had success laying the batting out, "seeds down" on my large cutting table. I then smooth (not stretch) the backing (wrong side down) over the batting. Next, I carefully turn it over so the backing is on the table and the batting is on top. Then I smooth the top, wrong side down, over the batting. Finally, I pin.