Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pin basting and/or spray basting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pin-basting-spray-basting-t183166.html)

omaluvs2quilt 03-18-2012 11:11 AM

I spray baste with 505 and machine quilt, never a problem, even with large queen/king size quilts. I do sometimes pin the corners of a large quilt. Never have any shifting or tucks and so far I've quilted everything on my Janome 6600.

krysti 03-18-2012 02:10 PM

Thank you all for the responses! I have a lot of trouble with achiness in my neck; shoulders, back, hands and such, so I think I'm going to try the spray basting for now. I was just concerned that if I spray basted only, I may still need to pin. I am going to TRY to machine quilt my first one here soon. As always, VERY APPRECIATIVE to this board!! Thanks again and wish me luck! :)

Becky Crafts 03-18-2012 03:15 PM

I also use the curved pins to baste the quilts in preparation for machine quilting.

Prism99 03-18-2012 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by krysti (Post 5071117)
Thank you all for the responses! I have a lot of trouble with achiness in my neck; shoulders, back, hands and such, so I think I'm going to try the spray basting for now. I was just concerned that if I spray basted only, I may still need to pin. I am going to TRY to machine quilt my first one here soon. As always, VERY APPRECIATIVE to this board!! Thanks again and wish me luck! :)

Good luck! I also have problems with my back, neck, shoulders. What I found prevents these problems for me is quilting standing up. I place my machine on my cutting table. Also had dh make me a styrofoam "surround" for my machine so that I have a large flat surface to work on; however, that is secondary to simply quilting standing up. I do wear my good indoor shoes and stand on carpeting to do this. Works much better for me than quilting sitting down. You might want to try it.

krysti 03-18-2012 05:18 PM

Thank you Prism99; I will definitely try that! :)

jitkaau 03-19-2012 02:39 AM

I spray baste with the cheapest I can find. Sometimes, on very large quilts, I machine baste along the sashing lines in order to stabilise. The advantages are that I don't get stuck, it is quick, there is no bunching, I don't sew over pins accidentally and there is no stopping of the rhythm of my quilting.

ItsJustMe 03-19-2012 05:31 AM

I spray baste, then iron to make the adhesion permanent. Works like a charm.

Karen's Kreations 03-19-2012 05:36 AM

I have pin basted and spray basted - I much prefer the spray basting - takes less time and it's easier on the fingers! I have hand quilted small quilts - I usually machine quilt.

solstice3 03-19-2012 05:41 AM

I have more luck with thread basting although I have used pins

WMUTeach 03-19-2012 05:42 AM

I pin baste larger than baby quilt sized. I actually don't care for the spray baste. It seems to "gunk up" my needle. I have the can of spray and will use it up but not likely buy more. It would be that this is an older product and the newer ones many be better.