Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pineapple Blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pineapple-blocks-t302597.html)

Dingle 01-27-2019 11:12 AM

Pineapple Blocks

I'm working on a Pineapple Quilt using the Creative Grids ruler. Instructions say to press all seams out but I realized if all the seams are going the same direction there will be no nesting when the blocks are sewn together. For anyone who has done one, what did you do? I'm afraid the seams will be too bulky.

TIA

tallchick 01-27-2019 12:35 PM

I would press them open, just shorten your stitch length.

GingerK 01-27-2019 03:22 PM

I'd be pressing alternate rounds the opposite direction. Not a fan of pressing them open. That would mean that you would have to do some planning as far as putting the blocks together.

tallchick 01-27-2019 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK (Post 8201029)
I'd be pressing alternate rounds the opposite direction. Not a fan of pressing them open. That would mean that you would have to do some planning as far as putting the blocks together.

I’m curious as to why you would say that pressing seams open means more planning?? I press all of my seams open and have never had a issue, in fact it’s easier IMHO, and means no pressing plan required and no fussing with nesting of seams, especially when a block has a ton of seams such as a pineapple block. Most pattens with lots of seams call for pressing open for best results.

maviskw 01-28-2019 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick (Post 8201036)
I’m curious as to why you would say that pressing seams open means more planning?? I press all of my seams open and have never had a issue, in fact it’s easier IMHO, and means no pressing plan required and no fussing with nesting of seams, especially when a block has a ton of seams such as a pineapple block. Most pattens with lots of seams call for pressing open for best results.

Pressing the seams open does not require planning. It's the sewing the seam in opposite directions that requires the planning. Ginger does not want to press them open. I can understand how you thought as you did.

GingerK 01-28-2019 05:44 AM

Oops poor sentence order. I am sorry for the confusion. Maviskw clarified what I wanted to say.

However, I just went to Quilterscache and looked at their patterns for pineapple blocks. It seems like the problem seams would only be with the final round of each block. So why not make two as per the ruler instructions, and experiment with pressing the final round?

AnitaGrossmanSolomon 01-28-2019 06:05 AM

I press Pineapple block seams open. It's just about the only block that I do that to. I press seams open when I sew the blocks into a quilt.

janjanq 01-29-2019 01:32 AM

I have made many pineapple blocks using the Creative Grids ruler. I pressed the seams as instructed, but since I used sashing strips between each block I didn't have to worry about nesting seams.