Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pinking Shears Problems (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pinking-shears-problems-t235599.html)

alleyoop1 11-29-2013 06:05 AM

My father was a scissor polisher at Wiss for many years until he had a heart attack in 1951. I have several pair of Wiss pinking shears and even if they stop cutting, I would never part with them. Hope you can get your in working order.

mandyrose 11-29-2013 06:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I love love love mine I had them since the 70sand appreciat and respect them today more then ever my anut gave me the pinking and the other pr was my first pr I bought

gmcsewer 11-29-2013 06:28 AM

I have a pair of pinking shears which had gotten too dull to cut fabric but I kept them. Co Workers in my office were planning a party and needed a decorative edge scissors to cut invitations. I loaned them my PS and they cut a lot of paper. When I got them back, they were sharp enough to cut fabric again.So....try cutting paper with them after you loosen up the mechanism

mrs. fitz 11-29-2013 05:31 PM

Regarding the rust, I just read something today on the internet about 10 things you might not know about using vinegar, and one had to do with removing rust. I think there was a picture of a knife or something. Sorry to be so vague but I just skipped over it, I think it was on AOL.

Monroe 11-29-2013 10:01 PM

Sharpening pinking shears is an art, so find someone who Knows about them, not a lawnmower repairman. My Mom sharpened hers by cutting Very fine sandpaper. Another woman I knew used emery cloth- same principle. Sandpaper grit and emery are made from ground garnet. Can't recommend it unless someone here knows if this is good to do. A drop of sewing machine oil (Not 3-in-1) or TriFlow would benefit the screw. Work the scissors several times, then let them set a few hours and wipe off the excess.

Mdegenhart 11-30-2013 07:27 AM

WD-40 to remove the rust, then wipe it off very well.

mengler 11-30-2013 08:00 AM

JoAnn Fabrics has a sharpener come in periodically if you are near one. Sometimes they do it while you wait.

grannie cheechee 11-30-2013 12:27 PM

hairdressers have to have their scissors sharpen, and most of the time someone comes to their shops. Ask your hairdresser the next time if she knows someone.

CAS49OR 11-30-2013 04:42 PM

I have Ginger pinking shears I bought as a set on ebay --- they are so stiff and hard to use. I wish I had my cheap Fiskars pinking shears.

I've been told they loosen up with use.

They have not.

Regardless -- they are guaranteed, Gingher will sharpen them if you send them to them. The address is on the box.

I don't know if there is a similar thing for your Wiss shears.

maryb119 11-30-2013 05:36 PM

I think you can loosen the set screw a little. That worked for a pair of my scissors that were still and hard to use. I thought it was worth a try anyway.