Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   pinning or basting of your quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pinning-basting-your-quilt-t171145.html)

linhawk 12-08-2011 09:10 AM

I use my dining room table with the pad turned over. Fuzzy side up. Then I baste and after the center is basted I move it to get the sides and ends.

gardnergal970 12-08-2011 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 4756587)
Google the Sharon Schambers method of basting a quilt. She has her tutorials on Youtube. My DD and I used her method for the last quilt we finished. So much easier that getting down on the floor and pinning. Her tute shows her sandwiching a small quilt but it worked for our 70x70 quilt with a little practice.

I love this method. The basting holds very well when maneuvering it through the machine. I think the secret is making sure each layer is completely smooth and in good contact with the layer it is being layerd to. I was told everything would be sticky and gum up the needle but it wasn't a problem for me. I let it dry for 12+ hours before I started working with it.

Linda Renfro 12-08-2011 09:57 AM

I too have trouble with knees and my back, and getting on the floor is not something I can do anymore. So I took a bunch of pictures off my wall, hung up a 9 ft. 1x4 and then put up a tarp and now I hang my backing to the 1x4, spray (the tarp catches the over spray) and then I put my batting on the backing, then spray again and then I put my top on the batting. Then I pin with safety pins. It's not pretty but it is soooo much easier and faster too!

misseva 12-08-2011 10:17 AM

I used Sharon's method of basting (sorta) to tie a quilt. It was a large lap quilt. Instead of basting I just tied it and then rolled it to another section and tied some more. Did it all sitting at a 6' fold out table that I bought at Fred's for $20-30. No floor for me either. Soooooo easy on the back & knees.

tlclifford47 12-08-2011 10:48 AM

I hear you about getting down on the floor!! What I do is use at table be it dinning room or a drop leaf work table I bought at Hancocks or Joanns . Also I pin my quilts from the center. Good luck

GailG 12-08-2011 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 4756584)
I pin my quilt on a table. I find the center of the quilt and the batting and backing and I put a pin right there. Then I lay the quilt out on a table. I have a cutting table that folds down on both sides, but you could use a dining table or even a card table. I smooth out the layers and yes, sometimes the sides of the quilt hang over the edge. I just start pinning from the center out. I have had no problems with bunching at all.

That's what I have had to resort to in my "old age" since the back and knees can take only so much bending and stooping. (woe is me!) I think my next step will be to get the office clips that yayaquilts uses.