Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   pinning vs. spray baste (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pinning-vs-spray-baste-t123347.html)

Gabrielle's Mimi 05-15-2011 04:52 PM

I love using spray baste (have always used 505 but just tried Gunold KK100 and it's fabulous!). If my quilt is larger than a table topper I use spray baste AND pins just to make sure nothing moves. If you use spray baste, how large a project will you trust to spray baste alone? At what size do you add pins? Have you ever used just spray on a twin-sized quilt for example?

Jim's Gem 05-15-2011 04:53 PM

I have spray basted alone at least 5 queen size quilts with no issues!

Gabrielle's Mimi 05-15-2011 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem

Oh, my, I am in awe! Queen sized!!!! Thanks so much!

BTW, congratulations on your new grandson. You will LOVE being a grandma...I've been one for 7 mos. now and my DGD is the best thing in my life! Give him a kiss for me.

TonnieLoree 05-15-2011 05:17 PM

Welcome to the G-ma's club! I hope mom and baby are doing great. ;)

Colorful Quilter 05-15-2011 05:53 PM

I have been eager to try the spray basting method...I find the pin basting to be tiresome and i don't like working around the pins when quilting, taking the pins out while quilting is also a problem because it seems everytime I get my momentum going I have to stop to take out the pins, I will buy some spray and work on a practise piece.

Quilting Angel 05-15-2011 05:57 PM

I have made anywhere between a lap size to a queen size quilt and only use basting spray. Here lately, I have been adding safety pins to the border, but not sure if it's even necessary. It just makes me feel a bit better. I love basting spray, and I will never go back to pinning.

Jill 05-15-2011 06:02 PM

Same here

Kitsie 05-15-2011 06:08 PM

I've spray basted a couple of queen's, 2 fulls, 2 hangings and just sprayed a king! All are done except the King! Switched to 505 and like it lots better than the June Tailor.

Airwick156 05-15-2011 08:07 PM

Congratulations on becoming a Grandma today Jim's Gem.

Jim's Gem 05-15-2011 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi

Oh, my, I am in awe! Queen sized!!!! Thanks so much!

BTW, congratulations on your new grandson. You will LOVE being a grandma...I've been one for 7 mos. now and my DGD is the best thing in my life! Give him a kiss for me.

Thank you!!!!
I am going to help her out for a week. They get out of the hospital on Tuesday so trying to decide if I should go down tomorrow noonish or wait until Tuesday around 9ish (I have to drive thru the middle of Los Angeles to get to her place, there are certain times you just don't even try)