Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   pins do we use enough (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pins-do-we-use-enough-t46715.html)

Charlee 05-22-2010 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts

Originally Posted by Charlee
Sue...you can sew over pins on vintage machines! ;)

Hi Charlee- did you read my post to you last night???? :D

Are you talking about the one on the "What are you making with your vintage machines?" thread?

Luv Quilts and Cats 05-22-2010 12:20 PM

I pin because if I don't my seams don't match up. I don't sew over the pins, though.

amma 05-22-2010 12:39 PM

I seldom pin, but I do glue baste or I finger pin and baste the intersections. It has been quicker and easier for me this way. But I do have a number of pins with little knick marks on them from being grazed by the needle :roll:

I was told on computerized machines, that hitting the pins can throw the machine out of timing? So that scared me and I found alternative methods...

virtualbernie 05-22-2010 09:32 PM

I use plenty of pins and sew over them too! My old home ec teacher told us if you pin straight at a right angle the needle won't hit the pins...it works 99% of the time for me.

bearisgray 05-22-2010 10:14 PM

Another "it depends" topic -

I sometimes pin a lot - sometimes hardly at all -

and I try not to sew over them.

A couple of times I hit a pin and the needle broke and the pieces flew.

Honey 05-23-2010 01:04 AM

If there is a seem in site I pin a lot and I sew over them. When I get to a pin i sort of walk the needle over it. Works great.

grammypatty7 05-23-2010 04:09 AM

I get a lot of teasing about the number of pins I use and yes, it's a pain but as a hand quilter I need a lot of pins plus I normally hand baste in both directions as well. For small projects, I don't hand baste, just pin.

moreland 05-23-2010 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by topper1
I was just doing two small projects and discovered they come out better with using more pins, I tend to underestimate how many I use. Sometimes just dont want to pull them out. Nice end projects. :lol:

One big difference is what type pins you are using--the less expensive "regular" pins tend to be bigger around--if you are using "fine" pins, it is a lot easier to sew over them and NOT hit them with your needle. Even among my quilting pins, the size of the shank varies--I've learned which ones are the thins and those are what I reach for. I am slowly weeding out the "big" pins. They are good for holding things on my bulletin board, etc., just not so good for quilting.

PennyLynn 05-23-2010 05:55 AM

I am lazy and only use pins when I have to, I just hate taking the time to put pins in and then take them out

tooMuchFabric 05-23-2010 07:35 AM

I sew over pins on all my machines. Only broken about 4 needles in a decade. Of course, speed is a big factor. If I go slightly less than 100mph on my machine, the needle has a chance to slide down the side of the pin rather than hit it pin straight on and break the needle and bend the pin.